Objectivism Online Forum

Manchurian Candidate

Rate this topic

I just saw this movie and my reaction is hard to describe. Without going into detail, I would say it should be renamed 'Farenheit 9/11 part 2'. It is liberal conspiracy theorist's wet dream. The anti-Americanism in this film is apparent from the opening credits on. There were a few moments in the film where I almost had to walk out.

That being said, it was a well made movie. I enjoyed the original when I saw it a few years ago. This version changes the villians from the Communists to the Republican/Military/Industrial axis but it still retains the essential framework of the original. And despite its terrible politics, it is a story about heroism, and even though some of the explicit political dialog and symbolism turned my stomach, the final scene was very powerful and well done; better than the original in my view.

I would say that it was good art but terrible political philosophy that happens to have a comendable theme which I think is something along the lines of men fighting to regain control of their own minds.

If you can stomach the anti-corporatism and you are a fan of the original with Sinatra, I would reccommend it.

I haven't seen the new one but I've seen the original. So they replaced the communists with corporations as the villian? I guess Ayn Rand was right about communist infiltration of Hollywood - maybe the influence still lingers.

I haven't seen the new one but I've seen the original. So they replaced the communists with corporations as the villian? I guess Ayn Rand was right about communist infiltration of Hollywood - maybe the influence still lingers.

Believe it or not, the Communist coup of the original is replaced with a Conservative coup in the remake. The whole movie reeks of leftist political thought. As a topper, Al Franken has a cameo in the film.

Denzel and Streep are good though. But the best performance was probably the guy who played Raymond Shaw.