Objectivism Online Forum

1000 posts!

Rate this topic

This board has been experiencing practically exponential growth in the past few months, and we've reached the 1000 post mark. Some statistics for you:

April: 8 posts

May: 36

June: 160

July: 141 (there was a slight lull due to OCON this month)

August: 562 (so far)

While I don't think this kind of rapid, almost exponential growth will last forever, I do believe that the board will continue to grow steadily. I hope to still be sharing this forum with you all when we reach 10,000 and 100,000 posts. Thanks again for providing this forum, David!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! I'm glad that I kept the forum going during the long months of hibernation. I'm confident that the site will keep on growing, especially with help from some high profile links we've gotten recently.

Btw, as the top poster, Ash is probably more responsible than anyone else for the recent growth.

post-3-1062378282_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, it's been a year today since I joined this forum, soon after its inception. There are now over 3000 posts, and nearly triple the number of members as well since the board's seven-month mark at the time of the previous posts in this thread.

And during this past year, this has been a great place to discuss some issues with other students of Objectivism to clarify my thoughts about things on my mind, and just to read their posts about other things as well. And I'm sure the forum will continue to be such a place. I predict that in another year we will have surpassed the 10,000 posts mark.

Once again, kudos to David!

• 1 month later...

This forum is great. Places of rational discussion are rare and I'm glad to have found one here. The plethora of one-line posts to be found in most forums are absent from Objectivism Online.

It is a testament to the intelligence and insight of Objectivists.

Thanks go to David for bringing this place into being.

I love it here. I had been visiting humanities.philosophy.objectivism, where I found most of the posters to be rude, overly arrogant, and needlessly condascending. This environment is significantly more welcoming, and has a much wider variety of topics to join in on. Thanks!

P.S. Look! I was the newest member in the last post of Board Statistics! :rolleyes:

Old Geezer,

.com was already taken, :o

When David and I expanded the site into what it is now, we were thinking about changing the domain (our favorite was www.ideasmatter.com), but no luck in finding one that was good and not being used.

Thow come there arent banner adds etc on this site? I cant say I'd mind.

Are you sure? Becuase I just added some :o

P.S. Every click makes us money. So if you see something interesting, please don't hesitate to do so ;)

Edit #2: I just saw a Google ad for this forum on this forum. Weird, huh? :P

P.S.  Every click makes us money.  So if you see something interesting, please don't hesitate to do so  :pimp:

I just clicked on an ad to a site claiming to have information about a new theory of cosmology.

The new theory: The universe is comprised of one (and only one) existant, which is God.

Weak.

P.S. The other ads were pretty good, though.

Wow, this is the 6000th post. Let’s see: 7 months to 1000 posts, 5 to 3000, 2 to 6000! At this rate, we should reach 10,000 long before the year’s over! ;)

Here are the monthly page views for this site since I moved it to a new host in November:

11/1/2003 November 9,265

12/1/2003 December 30,408

1/1/2004 January 62,738

2/1/2004 February 90,754

3/1/2004 March 115,453

4/1/2004 April 171,618

post-5-1081397939_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I just noticed that ObjectivismOnline is one of the top ten websites for "Objectivism" according to Google

Deservedly so!

If this site doesn't become #2 or #3, then something's wrong with Google.

I join the others in thanking you for creating it. I just recently found it and I LOVE it.

I have 2 questions though:

1. Where can I find the official rules stating when I turn from novice to junior, and so on?

2. Do you have some nice graphic buttons to link to your site? (I already added you to my blogroll, but...)

I just noticed that ObjectivismOnline is one of the top ten websites for "Objectivism" according to Google

I'm curious, David...when you started this website, did you expect it to become as big as it has, with hundreds of active members in just over a year, hosting chats with prominent Objectivist intellectuals, etc.? What is your reaction to its success?

1. Where can I find the official rules stating when I turn from novice to junior, and so on?
I change those on a regular basis, but here is the current setup:

Title Min Posts Pips
Newbie 0
Novice 5 pip.gif
Junior Member 25 pip.gifpip.gif
Member 100 pip.gifpip.gifpip.gif
Senior Member 500 pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif
Advanced Member 1000 pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif
Senior Partner 5000 pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

Don’t take these too seriously, as the rankings don’t really mean anything.

2. Do you have some nice graphic buttons to link to your site? (I already added you to my blogroll, but...)

That’s a great idea! I am going to post some banners and buttons below.

capitalist.gif

objectivist.gif

New-Logo.jpg

New-Header.png

OO_banner.jpg

AR-Quote.jpg

I am not a great graphic designer, so I'd love to get some contributions too.

You can view all the banners at:

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/images/banners/

I have a "few" more icons at http://www.rationalmind.net/images/icons/

I'm curious, David...when you started this website, did you expect it to become as big as it has, with hundreds of active members in just over a year, hosting chats with prominent Objectivist intellectuals, etc.?  What is your reaction to its success?

When I started this site, I was sure that there was a lot of untapped potential for an Objectivist community, but I didn’t know how effectively I could tap it. The first six months were slow, and I was worried about getting enough momentum going. I have you to thank for keeping the discussions flowing during that time.

I always wanted this to be much more than a forum, and Steve provided the vision and content for the site to really take off. There’s been more new users, posts, and hits in the last two months than the year before that.

Obviously, I am very pleased with the success. I have been pondering what steps to take next, including new features, spin-offs, and events, and such. One of my biggest objectives is to get more people involved in contributing content and running the site, because I won’t be a student for much longer, and may not have time to keep things up to date. As I’ve said from the start, I think the value of the web as a marketplace of ideas is tremendous and growing, so there are still many opportunities we can take advantage of.

Don’t take these too seriously, as the rankings don’t really mean anything.

Sure, to you they don't mean anything. Your an admin! :D

But I want those 6 blue squares so bad!!! :)

Oh, and thank you for the banners. I just posted one in my site. I think of adding another somewhere...

BTW - If we are in the business of good ideas - did you think of syndicating not just the blog - but the forums themselves?