Objectivism Online Forum

Google Chrome

Rate this topic

DavidV

Actually, possibly not "many" things, but enough of certain things that it makes it a little bit of a hassle to bother with Chrome for some of the stuff I like to do semi-regularly. But mainly it is just that Firefox does a pretty adequate job of *everything* I do these days, though I will concede that Chrome probably still does render some stuff a bit faster. But I dont really have much of an issue with speed anyway, so this is not much of a plus for me.

IE9 is certainly pretty fast, and it is nice to see IE9 ( 8 as well to a lesser extent of course) doing a really good job of CSS, at least compared to the horribleness of earlier versions. It is still not perfect, but frankly *no* browser implements the most current verison of CSS perfectly anyway.

Yeah, IE8 and 9 - especially 9 - were big steps forward. And now that MS is releasing versions of IE faster than in the past we don't have to wait as long for such steps forward :-D

I should also add that Chrome does one thing quite well that Firefox *still* has serious issues with now and again ( if you try to run it for extended time periods anyway) : Preventing memory-leaks. Though Firefox is certainly MUCH better at this than it used to be. Chrome tends to use less memory too, but even Firefox does nto really raise much issue for me in this regard, even with "only" 2GB of RAM installed currently ).

I should also add that Chrome does one thing quite well that Firefox *still* has serious issues with now and again ( if you try to run it for extended time periods anyway) : Preventing memory-leaks. Though Firefox is certainly MUCH better at this than it used to be. Chrome tends to use less memory too, but even Firefox does nto really raise much issue for me in this regard, even with "only" 2GB of RAM installed currently ).

Well, Firefox 7 Aurora apparently cuts memory usage by about 30%... and thanks to just 1 patch. And with their new accelerated development cycle, FF7 is not far from reaching "gold".

Ah well you see, I have not really bothered with Firefox 7 Aurora or following the updates about it, as I really ahve little reason to bother with version 7 right now. Still, thats pretty good to hear...

Ah well you see, I have not really bothered with Firefox 7 Aurora or following the updates about it, as I really ahve little reason to bother with version 7 right now. Still, thats pretty good to hear...

Well, I just read about it in an article hence the "apparently" in my post.

Addiition: But if true that would likely be their biggest memory reduction yet and damn impressive. I think that apparently the patch mainly works make bis improvements to garbage collection or something like that.

Edited by DragonMaci

Yeah, as I recall improved GC has always been one of the major driving factors in Firefoxs incremental improvements in memory management . I guess memory management was pretty badly overlooked in really early versions of Firefox. I have to wonder even if even had any GC at first. It was made with C++ as I recall and that has no native GC, so possibly the programmers neglected to add much of their own and then later had to bolt it on, hence why it still does not work as well as arguably it should.

Yeah, as I recall improved GC has always been one of the major driving factors in Firefoxs incremental improvements in memory management . I guess memory management was pretty badly overlooked in really early versions of Firefox. I have to wonder even if even had any GC at first. It was made with C++ as I recall and that has no native GC, so possibly the programmers neglected to add much of their own and then later had to bolt it on, hence why it still does not work as well as arguably it should.

I think I recall 1.5 or 2.0 added GC and earlier versions didn't have it. I might be wrong though.

I remember reading recently that improved GC is one non-performance benefit that could arise from making each tab be a seperate process like in Chrome as then GC could then be programmed to address each tab seperately as needed rather based on when a single process than handles all tabs is ready for it. Apparently splitting processes into another tab already provided a similar benefit for FF and the fact Chrome uses a seperate process for each tab and GC for each tab is probably a part of why it uses less memory.

• 10 years later...