Objectivism Online Forum

New Post list on OO.net home page

Rate this topic

Grames

I am pointing out the obvious, but still.

The home page has a list of most recent forum posts. They used to be just the titles, now they present the entire text of the first post of the thread. This is ahh, sub-optimal :) , especially for the long first posts and I hope something is being done about it.

I am pointing out the obvious, but still.

The home page has a list of most recent forum posts. They used to be just the titles, now they present the entire text of the first post of the thread. This is ahh, sub-optimal :) , especially for the long first posts and I hope something is being done about it.

Does anybody actually use the OO Home Page?

For forum users the "View New Posts" link above, (next to "My Controls") is the quickest and easiest way to directly go to a list of the newest posts. Never need to head to the home page again.

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...amp;CODE=getnew

I use the homepage out of habit because I used to come here just for the blogs. Just as a general thing, it kind of makes the front page look overstocked and gross for newcomers.

Yeah. Right now there's like an entire short story work of fiction on the homepage. The homepage is used by newbies and by me, and I dont think the newbies are getting a good impression.

Is this an effect of the change requested by Tenure here?
No, this is different. This about the list on the home page.

I was tempted to post that, but I know a few people use it. Also, I know it's one of David's (GC's) hopes is that people will use more than just the forum. :)

Yeah. Right now there's like an entire short story work of fiction on the homepage. The homepage is used by newbies and by me, and I dont think the newbies are getting a good impression.
Yes, it needs to be fixed.

I was tempted to post that, but I know a few people use it. Also, I know it's one of David's (GC's) hopes is that people will use more than just the forum. :)

A strange hope, considering how 'On-Demand' the content most people want from websites is these days. RSS is absolutely divine. It allows you to get everything you want to read neatly piled together in one place, rather than going to each website individually.

It might make more sense to declutter the OO.net home page entirely, into just 'Forum/Blogs/Other Sites'. I mean, I would love to be able to fully check everything from Google Reader, but I still don't trust that 'View New Posts' feed.

Is this an effect of the change requested by Tenure here?

Yes it is. I've fixed the homepage.

The main site gets slightly less than half the traffic to this domain. That's not bad considering that the Metablog is the only content being updated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.