Objectivism Online Forum

Hurricane Charlie

Rate this topic

gnargtharst

I post from Miami, where I'm hiding out while Hurricane Charlie probably destroys my home in Fort Myers.

And yet, my anxiety is not primarily concerned about what nature will do to my home (I have insurance to take care of that), but rather: what new destructive laws will be passed to "protect" us from the effects of nature.

After the last hurricane to roll through, Florida passed a law making it illegal to sell a product or service for an unreasonable profit in the wake of a hurricane.

Forget construction crews... please send intellectual aid to Florida, before the next wave of destruction hits! ;)

Best of premises with the storm. I've been through 2 canes and a boat load of TS's and they are never fun. Remember to keep your books on the top shelves!

I lost literally everything two years ago thanks to TS Allison. We have the same laws here about prices. So when a few thousand residents lost their cars, we needed to rent some. I would have gladly (and I did offer) rental companies significantly higher amounts for a car, but they couldn't do that. It was illegal.

So I was forced to join the group of people who couldn't drive for a few weeks since it didn't make a lick of sense for rental car companies to go to the trouble of moving gazillions of cars to Houston. So I improvised and flew into Dallas and rented a car their with the promise to the rental agent that I wasn't going to return back to Houston. How silly. I ended up driving it back up to Dallas and using the return ticket I had 2 weeks later when my insurance paid off.

Amazing how people complained about the rental car situation and couldn't figure out why these companies didn't ship massive numbers of cars at a loss. To quote Homer Simpson: "D'Oh!"

The same is even more true for contractors. The only people that came in from out of twon were less than legitamit "profiteers" read "fraudsters." Again, this is becuase it didn't make economic sense for legitamite companies to come down here. Their were quite a few people with roadside stands that sold generators and portable air conditioners that charged what they were worth. Of course, the state did their best to arrest these evil people and confiscate their needed goods. Boy am I good the state looks out for my best interests. Nothing like a wet non air conditioned house in Houston during the summer....

I post from Miami, where I'm hiding out while Hurricane Charlie probably destroys my home in Fort Myers.

And yet, my anxiety is not primarily concerned about what nature will do to my home (I have insurance to take care of that), but rather: what new destructive laws will be passed to "protect" us from the effects of nature.

After the last hurricane to roll through, Florida passed a law making it illegal to sell a product or service for an unreasonable profit in the wake of a hurricane.

Forget construction crews... please send intellectual aid to Florida, before the next wave of destruction hits! :)