Objectivism Online Forum

Children's Books

Rate this topic

visaplace

Can anyone point me to a list of good children's books for 3-4 year olds? There are so many bad ones out there.

Try anything by Richard Scarry. They're delightful.

My son also liked Dr. Seuss and The Berenstain Bears.

There is a strictly moderated forum for Objectivist parents. Ask there too. It is called Rational Parenting List. I believed the email address is [email protected], but I am not certain. The charge is about $40 per year, I recall. Well worth it for parents. There is a one-month trial subscription free.

I found the following possible lead (apparently it is an issue of CyberNet news) mentioning the RPList.

www.4cybernet.com/sample/d07.html

(Would you mention my name if you do connect with the RPList?)

If the leads above don't work, ask about "Rational Parenting List" here on Objectivismonline.com.

I spent about 25 hours, over a couple of months, sitting on the floor of one of the largest bookstores in North America -- picking out books for my baby grandson. I wanted to find a book in each category -- science, poetry, adventure, history, fable, detective, biography, and so forth -- even if they were a few years ahead. Good books never become outdated. I put them in a special book box, to keep them together, like a treasure chest.

You are right, there is a lot garbage out there. Some have objective values in the content, but the illustrations are atrocious. Others have first-rate illustrations for little kids (simple, clear, exciting), but awful content.

Here are a few I bought. Keep in mind that the same story might be presented in different books with wildly different illustrations (some scratchy, post-modernist, and some objectively gorgeous) and formats (some are board-books and others are in less durable forms).

- The Whispering Rabbit (teaches chjildren to really listen).

- Let's Go Visiting (a counting book).

- Anatole the Mouse books in various stories, about a very virtuous and adventurous Parisian mouse with a very large family.

- King Alfred: Adventure from History. (I am not certain of the title.)

- The Egg (a science book with overlays showing the inside of an egg).

- Little Engine that Could (caution! watch out for multiculturalist propaganda and revisions).

- Aesop's Fables (be cautious in the storytelling because some of the fables have ethical points that aren't correct but deserve explanation)

- Dinosaur books for little kids.

Some of the best books may be out of print and available only in used copies. Kids don't care.