Objectivism Online Forum

Self-Made Men

Rate this topic

athena glaukopis

Hi guys, I found a cool lego sculpture that reminded me of Bobbie Carlyle's "Self-Made Man"

It is called "Blue" by Nathan Sawaya, a lego artist. (His other stuff is nothing special)

05.lego.art.jpg

I've always liked the lego medium :P Hope you enjoy this one!

Edited by athena glaukopis

It looked neat on first viewing, but I think the pile of loose legos kind of detracts from the overall appearance, like the figure is startled because his arm just fell off and broke. It would look better if the loose legos were positioned differently to make it obvious that the lego-man is painstakingly assembling himself rather than falling to bits.

It looked neat on first viewing, but I think the pile of loose legos kind of detracts from the overall appearance, like the figure is startled because his arm just fell off and broke. It would look better if the loose legos were positioned differently to make it obvious that the lego-man is painstakingly assembling himself rather than falling to bits.

I agree, maybe the messy pile of legos should instead be in a "new" box of legos that he's pulling them out of

The American Swedish Historical Museum in Philadelphia is hosting an extensive exhibition of Sawaya's work through November 30, 2008. I took a walk through the exhibit back in August, and had mixed feelings. On the one hand, his technique with Legos is pretty remarkable; he achieves curves and contours that I wouldn't have thought were possible with that media. His choice of subject matter is less satisfactory, however. He seems very interested in surrealism and deconstructionism; I'm no expert in art, but I know what appeals to my sense of life and what doesn't; so while I admired some of the pieces, and certainly his inventiveness, overall I was a bit disappointed. I went because my 15-year old son is an avid Logo builder, and he was certainly inspired to try some new techniques after viewing the exhibit. So at least in that respect it was worth the trip.

http://www.americanswedish.org/exhibitions.htm