Objectivism Online Forum

Colon Cleanse or Detoxification

Rate this topic

I can't find much available evidence for the validity of a colon cleanse or body detoxification hypotheses, and yet methods of such seem to be gaining popularity. I ask the people who choose to use the methods why they do it ("clean the colon" and "rid the body of toxins" are the usual answers), and how they know they need to do these things, and if it actually does it (their answer is "I don't know").

There's a method that's gaining popularity at my workplace called The Master Cleanse, which is only drinking a concuction of maple syrup, lemon juice, cayenne peppers for 10 days, along with salt water and peppermint tea. None of them know if they actually need to do this, or if it even works as suggested, but they all buy the hype and claims from the people selling the program. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm just saying I haven't seen any evidence for it.

What do you guys think of the idea to "cleanse the body", or of the methods for this purpose?

My sister-in-law lost a ton of weight using one of these methods, but she also started walking every day and eating right. I think what it boils down to is staying active and not over eating.

Thank you, i was just going to point out that ALL "detox" or "colon cleansing" gimmicks are just that - they are total, unadulterated, Bulls*t and there are LOTS of reputable sources online that will explain this. Besides the P&T episode, Randi.org is a good source of info.

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/JREF?q=detox

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/JR...9-1&q=colon

There's a method that's gaining popularity at my workplace called The Master Cleanse, which is only drinking a concuction of maple syrup, lemon juice, cayenne peppers for 10 days, along with salt water and peppermint tea.

This is basically an osmotic laxative. If you want to do it in about 20 minutes, then Fleet's Phospho-soda will do the trick. The last time I had a colonoscopy, one of these babies, and my colon sure looked clean as a whistle. :)

It works by essentially sucking water out of your body into your digestive tract. Note it is very dehydrating to the body.

Here's a clue.

"Which toxins?" [no answer]

exactly.

There are specialized body organs for eliminating toxins. If a person's kidneys are failing, they should seek immediate medical attention. There is an actually effective colon cleaner composed of polyethylene glycol, sodium sulfate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride and potassium chloride, sold under the name GoLYTELY, which will absolutely rid your intestines of everything. However, it is prescription-only and you have to drink a gallon of it.

The best solution to the problem of ridding the body of toxins is to not consume toxins. For example, benzene is a toxin, so rather than drinking snake oil and cayenne to shit out the benzene that you've consumed, try not consuming benzene in the first place. Once you've been poisoned, it's kind of hard to get the toxin out of your system. I would suspect that if a person is suffering from copper poisoning that the lemon juice would be counterindicated, and what you need is milk of egg whites. Again, it is really best to seek immediate medical attention if you have ingested a toxic substance. Home remedies can make the condition worse.

Yeah, you know... chemicals.

Yup. Dem chemicals are icky, donchaknow? Same reason we use organic farming. it doesn't have all dem nasty chemicals.

This reminds me of this site http://www.dhmo.org/

It aims to see the banning of all uses of "Dihydrogen Monoxide" - a chemical that has been responsible for the deaths of millions and has been found to exist in every single municiple water supply.

...Of course, they don't let you in on the punchline, that "Dihydrogen Monoxide" written chemically is H20

...Of course, they don't let you in on the punchline, that "Dihydrogen Monoxide" written chemically is H20

I once freaked someone out when I told him his blood was riddled with hemoglobin :) Iron is toxic, don't you know?

Oh, and the things you can do with sodium chloride... It contains chlorine, which was used in poison gas as far back as WWI, etc.

And sodium explodes when it hits water. Put these two things together... and you've got a whole new class of WMD! :o

And to think your dentist will at some point prescribe a dillute solution of sodium chloride in dihydrogen monoxide to make the swelling go down! Mass murderers is what they are! (Yes, I am a certified anti-dentite :lol: )