Objectivism Online Forum

Nightmare Playgrounds of Eastern Europe

Rate this topic

KevinDW78

My eyes are watering from laughing so hard at this. Someone has gone around Eastern European and Russian countries and taken pictures of the "playgrounds" they have there and the nightmarish anti-man sculptures that appear for children to play amongst. Communism at its best people! (there are two pages of pictures so don't miss the link at the bottom to continue to the second page!

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/ni...laygrounds.html

Edited by KevinDW78

Take some pics for us and post them, Jux!

I like the one that looks like it turns, yet doesn't rotate. WTF? I laughed uncomfortably while looking at all that mess. :D

I like the one that looks like it turns, yet doesn't rotate. WTF? I laughed uncomfortably while looking at all that mess. :D

I think in most countries they got rid of the crap the communists buildt. When I was in Hungary for instance there really is almost no trace of communism, except for those awful apartment buildings in some of the suburbs. The rest actually looks better than places in England or most of the american south. (if you're into gothic and baroque, or stone in general) I doubt someone in Estonia certainly, but probably also in Lithuania, can just walk around their neighbourhood and find that stuff those website people searched out in Uzbekistan and provincial Russia.

Here's the list of places where the photos were taken:

- Moscow & St.Petersburg, of course

- Kharkov, Ukraine

- Minsk, Belarus

- Ivanteevka, Russia

- Odessa, Ukraine

- Prague, Czech Republic

- Stockholm, Sweden

- Akko, Israel

- even Basel, Switzerland

Since Prague is the only eastern european city depicted there (and it has no playground shots, just really shitty art - but I've seen worse in Central Park) outside the old Soviet Union, I don't see why the title of the thread.

Except for the crap even fans of this stuff would have trouble calling art, rotting in some shithole in the former soviet union, people got rid of most of this stuff in the early 90's. Most of these countries were free before they got stuck behind the Iron Curtain in 1945, and even then they tried to rebel against the Soviets. What makes you think they would've kept anything from that period when they were given a choice, after '89?

Prague is an exception, of course, they seem to have decided to let loose that moron, David Cerny. But that's probably because he has some type of political connections or fans in local government. (and he's a local boy with international "recognition")

I like the one that looks like it turns, yet doesn't rotate. WTF? I laughed uncomfortably while looking at all that mess. :huh:

The only 'art' from The Soviet Union you can easily spot in Klaipeda is 'The Hall For The Soldiers Who Died In WWII', like this:

img0266ln2.th.jpgthpix.gif

It is something enormous, so we failed at moving it and local Russians still bring flowers there at the day of Victory.

img0264ig0.th.jpg

Those dudes are huge. They are three or four times taller than me.

I think in most countries they got rid of the crap the communists buildt.

In most cases, we did. This is the place where Lenin's statue stood:

img0269st1.th.jpgthpix.gif

No Lenin here.

And we also have many apartment buildings from Soviet time. I live in Chrusciovic one :huh:

Edited by Juxtys

Since Prague is the only eastern european city depicted there (and it has no playground shots, just really shitty art - but I've seen worse in Central Park) outside the old Soviet Union, I don't see why the title of the thread

The largest part of Europe during the days of the U.S.S.R. WAS the U.S.S.R.

Belarus, the Ukraine, St. Petersburg and Moscow are all considered to be on the "continent" of Europe.

Also the second page of photos on that are:

- St. Petersburg

- Komsomolsk-na-Amure

- Astana, Kazakhstan

- Khmelnitzky, Ukraine

- Lvov, Ukraine

(again, all of which are on the continent of Europe)

Edited by KevinDW78

I believe Komsomolsk-na-Amure is in Siberia.

---------------------

Juxtys, a suggestion for clarity: I've seen you refer to Chrusciov twice now, and figured out what that is. It's close to the Lithuanian spelling (Chruščiovas) for "Khruschev" (Никита Сергеевич Хрущёв). I figure you used s and c for the Lithuanian š and č. (A bit of research on Lithuanian Wikipedia proved it.)

That particular potatoheadced son of a bitch is still causing havoc 40 years after being booted out of power, because his name has three sounds that Westerners cannot agree on how to spell. (Okay, technically TWO sounds, Х (Ch, Kh) and Щ (šč, shch).) Ironically the Lithuanian rendering is probably more accurate on its own terms, than ours is. (Many reading this might be surprised to learn that the end of the Potatohead SOB's name is pronounched "shchoff" with the accent on the "off", not "shev", and that the name starts with a sound like the "ch" in "ach du lieber" and "Bach". Worse, the "shch" is a halfassed but standard rendering of a sound we don't quite have in English.)

Anyhow, I suspect a couple of others have been puzzled by this. If I may make a suggestion, spell it "Khrushchev" here from now on. Or "Potatoheaded SOB". :huh:

I've found what you've had to say valuable once past the remaining language barrier and I hope to see a lot more of your posts.

The largest part of Europe during the days of the U.S.S.R. WAS the U.S.S.R.

Belarus, the Ukraine, St. Petersburg and Moscow are all considered to be on the "continent" of Europe.

Also the second page of photos on that are:

- St. Petersburg

- Komsomolsk-na-Amure

- Astana, Kazakhstan

- Khmelnitzky, Ukraine

- Lvov, Ukraine

(again, all of which are on the continent of Europe)

Well by that logic you can just say "Nightmare planets in the Milky Way", and that would be right too.

My point was that since the ten or so non-soviet eastern european countries are only represented by one city, while Western Europe and Asia are both represented by several, choosing to place the phenomenon in Eastern Europe shows your bias against the region-or your lack of understanding of the difference in culture between countries that have always been under russian influence, and countries that were under that influence for only 45 years(45-89), because of reasons beyond their power.

You should've said all Europe and Asia to include every place, or you could've said former soviet countries, which were most heavily represented, and contain the actual playground photos, to accurately describe the region in which these photos are concentrated.

My point was that since the ten or so non-soviet eastern european countries are only represented by one city, while Western Europe and Asia are both represented by several, choosing to place the phenomenon in Eastern Europe shows your bias against the region-or your lack of understanding of the difference in culture between countries that have always been under russian influence, and countries that were under that influence for only 45 years(45-89), because of reasons beyond their power.

You should've said all Europe and Asia to include every place, or you could've said former soviet countries, which were most heavily represented, and contain the actual playground photos, to accurately describe the region in which these photos are concentrated.

Wow... I think you are reading WAY too much into all that.

Well by that logic you can just say "Nightmare planets in the Milky Way", and that would be right too.

I could, but that would be pointless.

I don't know where all the animosity comes from. The former soviet countries are located geographically on the continent of Europe. There is nothing geographically incorrect with saying that. "Eastern-Europe" doesn't end at the border of the Czech Republic (as you seem to be implying). "Europe" stretches FAR into current Russia. If you don't believe me, Here's a map. Saying "Western Europe" or "Asia" would be even MORE misleading and in many cases flat-out wrong.

Edited by KevinDW78

• 1 month later...