Objectivism Online Forum

I Like Games

Rate this topic

Halsey17

I thought of posting this in the psychology forum, but I wasn't sure if it would really head in that direction. I like video games, computer games, board games, ,bar games (pool, foosball, ping pong), and poker. These are the sports that you can do with a cigar and cognac (or whatever you prefer) at hand. To clarify, I like good games and will read reviews and ratings from users and experts before investing my own time and money. Most people hear/read board games and think of Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble and such, but you'd be interested to know that board gaming is far from being so stagnant what with new board games coming out about as frequently as video games (www.boardgamegeek.com). A nice game of War of the Ring which takes 4-5 hours is a great Friday night. The only reason I ever go to bars is to play pool or foosball, and I can happily play for 3 or 4 hours. I've happily spent entire weekends video gaming almost incessantly.

I appreciate the competition, mechanics, lore/plot, challenge, and escape that good games provide. A real gamer isn't someone who buys the coolest looking or most advertised Xbox games and plays them constantly. I see a gamer as one who appreciates games as opposed to one who just likes games.

So,I'm wondering if anyone else enjoys games to this degree. What do you think constitutes being a gamer? Why does gaming seem like the ultimate in leisure?

I'm a big gamer--card games, computer games, tabletop RPG's, even stuff like volleyball in high school and the occasional game of laser tag.

I think I like gaming because it's an opportunity to do something that is goal-oriented without being *important*, so it's enjoyable without being stressful--and it's also frequently social, so you get the added benefit of spending time with your friends. I've never really enjoyed really purposeless activities like simply "hanging out" or (worse) getting drunk, and with a game around you always have something to do when you're not otherwise in the right frame of mind to pursue productive work.

Gaming is fun, it keeps the child in me alive. It can also be challenging in a fun way, there are no responsibilities that I have to win, although I fight for it every time :D

I also agree with JMeganSnow that simply hanging out for small talk is just not my cup of tea.

I used to be able to enjoy it, but not any more – it's such an extreme waste of time, that I just end up feeling restless and impatient while playing. There's so few good games out there too, and all are based on inverted moralities, or no morality at all. I am considering purchasing a good flight simulator though.

I am definetely a gamer. I play as often as I can. Playing the character in a video game setting is just so immersive, I feel like I am that person. When I watch a movie or read a book I'm constantly reminded that I'm not in control and that I am just reading/watching. Still, as of yet, video games have not been able to consistently bring up the stories of a calibre as good as movies and books. There are a few good stories though, hopefully thats a sign better stories are still to come.

Gamer since Pong. :D

Been playing WoW since beta in Nov. '04 when it came out. Big fan of Blizzard and Valve as game companies go. Earlier this year I picked up an Xbox 360 and have since picked up on a few of those games... COD4, COD:WaW, Left4Dead, Tiger Woods '08 and '09, etc.

Oh yea, I love playing poker but I don't get to often enough.

I'm a pretty big gamer. Being immersed in a good game is like being in a dream. You're in a totally different world where everything else is far away and out of mind. It is really fun, but I don't think it's very relaxing. Like in life, I enjoy a good challenge, but also a fair challenge.

Recently I haven't been playing as much as I used to with all the work I've got myself doing, but I still play a little Total War on my computer from time to time. And every month or so I get to play a good board game or two. Like maximus I am an outdoors person, but after a long hike my troop* likes to sit down to a nice game of risk. Recently though we have stumbled upon what I believe to be the best strategy board game ever: Axis and Allies.

Gaming is amazing fun, and while I may not be as hardcore as some people, I certainly would not disencourage anyone from partcipating. Whether it be a rpg, computer game, or a good old fashioned night around a board game, it's all good fun.

*As a sidenote I certainly don't endorse the scouting philosophy, merely the outdoor oppurtunities they provide.

Playing an extended game of Risk can almost break up a friendship.

I don't think your friends quite get the concept of "it's just a game". But I can definitely understand a little competitiveness.

Playing an extended game of Risk can almost break up a friendship.

You have to be REAL good friends to play a game of Illuminati and remain friends afterwards. With few exceptions, cheating (as long as you don't get caught) is acceptable according to the rules.

I used to be able to enjoy it, but not any more – it's such an extreme waste of time, that I just end up feeling restless and impatient while playing. There's so few good games out there too, and all are based on inverted moralities, or no morality at all. I am considering purchasing a good flight simulator though.

Board game wise, I would recommend Power Grid.

I used to play some simulation games (ok, Rollercoaster Tycoon and The Sims), but I don't have time for that anymore. even on weekends I'm too tired to play.

I also played and finished X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and the follow on game whose name escapes me. And Starfleet Academy once. I played Myst, but got tired of it (nice backgrounds, though), and I played a similar adventure-puzzle game based on Clarke's Rama series (nice backgrounds, too).

Now I play casual games I download from the web. But they're not as satisfying.

And I do like poker, but mostly with friends. It's been a while since we all could get together to play.

I also never finished a game of Monopoly when playing with the board game. Playing in the computer I did. Computer opponents are ridiculously easy to beat. But playing with other people in the PC we could finish. One drawback of the game is keeping track of money and making change. When the computer does that the game is mroe enjoyable.

Edited by D'kian

You have to be REAL good friends to play a game of Illuminati and remain friends afterwards. With few exceptions, cheating (as long as you don't get caught) is acceptable according to the rules.

Tell me about it. I spent 30 bucks on that game in high school. When I finally got a few of my friends to try it, it only took three hours before we were at each other's throats. Everyone got so frustrated I only got to play the game a handful of times since then. I think it's in a box somewhere, collecting dust. Fun game though.

I'm a pretty big gamer. Being immersed in a good game is like being in a dream. You're in a totally different world where everything else is far away and out of mind. It is really fun, but I don't think it's very relaxing. Like in life, I enjoy a good challenge, but also a fair challenge.

Recently I haven't been playing as much as I used to with all the work I've got myself doing, but I still play a little Total War on my computer from time to time. And every month or so I get to play a good board game or two. Like maximus I am an outdoors person, but after a long hike my troop* likes to sit down to a nice game of risk. Recently though we have stumbled upon what I believe to be the best strategy board game ever: Axis and Allies.

Gaming is amazing fun, and while I may not be as hardcore as some people, I certainly would not disencourage anyone from partcipating. Whether it be a rpg, computer game, or a good old fashioned night around a board game, it's all good fun.

*As a sidenote I certainly don't endorse the scouting philosophy, merely the outdoor oppurtunities they provide.

I don't think your friends quite get the concept of "it's just a game". But I can definitely understand a little competitiveness.

I really love the outdoors too, but unfortunately I live in a place far from any real forest or wilderness. Having grown up spending most of every summer in the woods, I'm always shocked when others can't spot deer trails or poison oak. So, I've actually always wondered how much I really would choose to play games if I lived in the middle of the forest. I'm sure I'd still game often, but it'd probably be significantly less often with a couple of hundred acres around me and a good pair of dogs.

On another note, it'd be great if people knew of a more Objectivist oriented game-probably it'd have to be an rpg. I know about the whole Bioshock thing, but that's certainly a mixed message.