Objectivism Online Forum

Reading Groups - Book Suggestions

Rate this topic

Tenure

For fiction, may I suggest "Scaramouche" by Rafael Sabatini? As a kid, I grew up with the adventure novels of Salgari and Sabatini, but I never got around to reading "Scaramouche."

. . .

Any takers on the idea? :D

I read it a long time ago, but I'd love to read it again. I've had a streak of romantic historical fiction recently including Sabatini's Captain Blood as well as Orczy's Scarlet Pimpernel, and I can always go for more. Let me know when you think you'd want to start Scaramouche (It might be a little while for me since I want to finish Economics and the Public Welfare first).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

What's the status of this book group concept? I'd like to participate if it's currently going on.

I'm interested also. Were you thinking fiction or non-? I know of a terrific art criticism book, it might be an old textbook ART AND THE ART OF CRITICISM. Can't lay my hands on it right now. Very well thought-out and sounds a lot like Objectivism. It is a big read, though. I haven't found any good new fiction in a long while.

-- Mindy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I liked the two "reading groups" that I participated in. Even though only one or two other people were involved each time, it was a way to bounce ideas off someone else, and to see their perspective when they read the same book.

Anyone interested in reviving this idea. Perhaps a short book would work better than a longer one. Personally, I would be interested in fiction or in economics/not-so-abstract philosophy/biography/history... preferably not by an Objectivist author.

Edited by softwareNerd