Objectivism Online Forum

Charlie Wilson's war

Rate this topic

Gabo

Has anybody seen this film? It´s actually quite good. It´s the true story of how a congressman, a CIA agent and a socialite helped strike a fatal blow to the Soviet Union.

Very satisfying in terms of content, and also as a film in itself- brilliant, quick dialogue and very good pacing.

The bonus documentaries in the DVD, with the real Charlie Wilson, are also very interesting.

I liked the film primarily for its honest portrayl of politics: that it's a business of constantly evading reality and of juggling pull. I especially like the parts where he talks about getting funding and how he just needs to suggest numbers and then suggest increasing them. It was all a wonderful satire of politics. Obviously, that wasn't all it was, but that part is what I really enjoyed about the film.

This was a rather enjoyable movie; it seemed like it was only an hour long. Though it continues to remind me how we should have dealt with the Soviets once and for all before World War II, though America was not morally ready. But it reminds me that the fight is essentially at home, teaching America to learn the history of its greatness, and its moral certainty. Without that, the government will always be lying to its citizens for the motives of its wars, appeasing enemies militarily, and engaging in covert half-assness.