Objectivism Online Forum

What Is Your Occupation?

Rate this topic

BetTheFarm

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very curious about the occupational profile of fellow objectivists.

My job title says "software engineer" right now. That means that I spend a lot of time playing with computers and getting paid to do it!

I have also been a guitarist for 23+ years. It's just a hobby but sometimes I actually get to play in public for a pittance.

Before this job I was in the Navy for a little over 10 years.

Once was an actuarial trainee (have a woozy degree in actuarial science) but didn't like the subject. Then was a software engineer for four years.

When I was twelve or so, I told my father I wanted to be a philosopher. He, an actuary, talked me out of it, saying that "you've got to eat first" and "no-one can know everything."

All these years later, I've found that philosophy is the only subject I can professionally stomach without grudge.

I intend to shake the world with a number of major publications. So long as I am alive, this will be the case.

Until fairly recently, I was headed to a PhD in philosophy. I made it into a decent program but for several reasons I had to accept the fact that I was not capable of completing my goal. I'm still delousing myself which is surprising to me since I was a studied Objectivist prior even to embarking on my undergrad degrees.

Now I work with geospatial information systems (ESRI is our provider) writing applications, maintaining data, and supporting users.

I must be more unlike others here since I am an aspiring nonfiction writer. :) It would have been nice to become an intellectual but really all I ever wanted to do was write books for laymen (and to teach).

I am very curious about the occupational profile of fellow objectivists.

Why are you "very curious"? How does your question fit into your value system? In other words, could you provide some context for your question? Or is your question "idle curiosity" -- that is, disintegrated questioning?

What do you mean by "objectivists"? I know what an Objectivist is. What is an "objectivist"?

I'm a full-time student of Economics, struggling against all the marxist indocrination. Believe me, it's everywhere, on every class. But I managed to find some Ludwig von Mises books lost in the library...

I'm a full-time student of Economics, struggling against all the marxist indocrination. Believe me, it's everywhere, on every class. But I managed to find some Ludwig von Mises books lost in the library...

Move to my neck of the woods. George Mason University is filled with pro-free market economists, including Walter Williams. One of the professors requires students to read von Mises, Economics in One Lesson, and gives extra credit to those who read Atlas Shrugged.

My occupations are

• Computert Consultant. I manage and design commercial software systems for dozens of major corporations. (See http://www.speicher.com/spsys.htm.)
  • Writer - Author of articles in The Objectivist Forum and The Intellectual Activist and Editor and Publisher of Betsy Speicher's CyberNet "the most complete and comprehensive e-mail news source about Objectivists, their activities, and their victories."
  • Parent Emeritius
  • "Den Mother" and "Mama Lion" to many young studfents of Objectivism.
  • Matchmaker
  • All-around Busybody in pursuit and promotion of my values.

My occupations are
  • Computert Consultant.  I manage and design commercial software systems for dozens of major corporations.  (See http://www.speicher.com/spsys.htm.)

• Writer - Author of articles in The Objectivist Forum and The Intellectual Activist and Editor and Publisher of Betsy Speicher's CyberNet "the most complete and comprehensive e-mail news source about Objectivists, their activities, and their victories."

• Parent Emeritius

• "Den Mother" and "Mama Lion" to many young studfents of Objectivism.

• Matchmaker

• All-around Busybody in pursuit and promotion of my values.

Stephen! She forgot about you!

I work in a call center as customer service and basic tech support. It's through a temping agency, so I'm underpaid and have no job security :)

Apparantly, a Bachelor's in Telecommunications is useless!

I'm currently studying for the LSAT, as I want a career where I can use my intellectual skills for a living, and possibly make a differance in this mixed-economy country.

Full time Security Officer while my wife finishes law school (2nd year) and engineering school (starts next year). I can't abide taking out more loans for at least another year so in the meantime I shall practice my writing and artisitc skills as a prelude to professional instruction.