Objectivism Online Forum

Help me pick an "ethically controversial" article.

Rate this topic

The instructor in my speech class told us to bring in a newspaper/magazine article or book that is ethically controversial. Her ethics, and those of the entire class, most certainly do not reflect my own. I thought to myself that I should bring in something that, by their standards would be ethically wrong, and just talk about how great it is. I think, however, that I should do the opposite and take in the Bible and just talk about how it's the handbook for the standard of death. What do you guys think?

If you want to be more controversial, and you have the time to research. You could show that the Koran is a call to death, and that it is the teachings of this, "religon of peace", that encourage the cancer of religous terrorism that contaminates our world.

After all, most lefties hate the bible, but are tolerant, (to the point of stupidty), of all other religons.

Remember that you do not have to be controversial. I think the first thing you should be doing is thinking about your teacher. If you think your teacher would fail you, or treat you like crap for the rest of the year (teachers do this) because you do something like bring the Bible and speak of it as a codebook of death, then it wouldn't be wise to do so. So think about your grade first. If this IS the case, I would suggest something like Machiavelli's "The Prince", that you can share with the class your disagreement.

But of course, if this is not the case, then I would suggest "The Fountainhead". I'm sure that you can give a speech abot Cortland and the controversy surrounding it.

Since the assignment asked for an article, maybe we should stick to that.

I'm guessing that the scope of your project (I'm assuming that, as with my speech class in college, you have time limitations for your presentation) probably isn't broad enough to take on the entire Bible. Or even the Gospels for that matter.

If your looking for something, or someone, that most people consider evil, find something on Michael Milken. Most people think he's the lowest form of human being in existence. Here are a couple of articles, but they're both old. You may need to find something more current.

Guilty of Success and Victim of Non-Objective Reporting

Did Michael Milken Deserve a Pardon?

Hope this helps. Good luck.