Objectivism Online Forum

Mac won't start up

Rate this topic

Tenure

I hope someone else here has a Mac and can help me.

Yesterday, I was on the train, using my Mac. I put it into Deep Sleep (like 'Hibernate' on Windows) and put it in my bag. I've gotten back to my room, opened it up, and it wouldn't do anything when I hit the power button to switch it out of Deep Sleep. I then held it down until the machine was powered down. I then powered up again, and it seemed to load fine, past the grey screen with the apple logo, to a blue screen, with my cursor on, and then nothing else. I can move the cursor, but can do nothing else.

Things I've tried:

Power-cycling

Running the battery down and starting again

Resetting the PRAM

Opening in safe mode, deleting all login items, as well as the 'Cache' and 'Cookies' folders under 'Macintosh>Users>roryhodgson>Library', as per the instructions of Tech support.

I've then tried archiving all my files and reinstalling Mac OS X, but the Install disc is dirty or something, and all attempts to clean it fail. I don't have a disc cleaner. It won't go ahead and install unless the disc is pristine (bear in mind, I've never taken this disc out of its packaging).

I don't know what to do now, except get on the train over to the Apple Store in Sheffield, which is over an hour and a half and £12 train fare away. Any suggestions?

Oh, and it's a 13inch Macbook.

I gave the CD as good a clean as I could and managed to re-install OS-X. So, everything is spiffy again.

Did you lose any data? Or did you have a backup?

I'm no expert, but I would say: If you are going to be moving around, better to shut down rather than sleep.

Marc: I lost no data. Archive and Install managed to save all my data. In future, I shall just shut down. It's just I had a number of things I open that I wanted to read later and not forget about.

K-Mac: Besides this, it has been. :)

Impossible! I've seen the commercials! Macs are perfect! :)

Rights. Blue Screen™ is an Afliction of the Dreaded Windows Boxes, not the Holy Mac. The Mac is Above Reproach. The Mac is Perfect. You will bow to the Mac and Thank Steve Jobs.

Edited by D'kian

I hope someone else here has a Mac and can help me.

I don't, but I can. Buy a PC. :)

I have been sorely dissapointed in the value of any Apple product I've owned. The aura around a mac is marketing hype. They are machines like any other. Oh, and they are more expensive for the funcitonality. Yes, they are leading edge and pretty. That's their strong suit.

Funny the number of people I've known who have sworn Macs never screw up, but I have seen one start to smoke, and one I had to use at work would freeze up every morning, so hard I got to get down amongst the dust bunnies and pull the power plug.

To be fair this is the only problem I have ever heard of since OS/X.

Yes, they are leading edge and pretty. That's their strong suit.

Hear, hear. When the first iMacs came out I couldn't find anything about them beyond "Revolutionary case design!" "They come in COLORS!!!!"

I've dealt with an iPhone recently. It's ok, but it gets old quickly and the screen is full of finger marks. A stylus is more civilized than a touch screen.

I don't understand all of the hate for Macs. I've used a Macbook Pro for about a year now and it's been nothing but reliable, virus-free, and a daily pleasure to work on. After using Windows most of my life, OSX and the build quality of the machine blew all of my expectations away about what using a computer should be like.

Marc: I lost no data. Archive and Install managed to save all my data. In future, I shall just shut down. It's just I had a number of things I open that I wanted to read later and not forget about.

Do you have a Firefox browser? If so, you can save the last state when you quit the browser. So, when you launch it the next time it will bring up the pages where you left off. A nice feature! ;)

I don't understand all of the hate for Macs.

It's more a dislike of Mac users.

I've used a Macbook Pro for about a year now and it's been nothing but reliable, virus-free, and a daily pleasure to work on.

That's what I mean. I've used PCs for a very long time. Those I configure and use myself have had very little in the way of problems. No viruses, spyware, adware, malware, etc. They're reliable, too. But most Mac users make it seem as if ease of use and near trouble-free use are characteristics exclusive to the Mac.

They also go on and on about styling and colors as though that were of tremendous importance.

I don't understand all of the hate for Macs. I've used a Macbook Pro for about a year now and it's been nothing but reliable, virus-free, and a daily pleasure to work on. After using Windows most of my life, OSX and the build quality of the machine blew all of my expectations away about what using a computer should be like.

I am impressed with the efficient and easy to use interface of my IPod Touch. Most electronic hardware today has a clunky interface that requires a manual and study to use. Often you'll have one button that does multiple things depending on how many times it is pressed, instead of supplying more buttons! That is bad engineering. Anyway, I consider Apple's user interface designs to be generally superior!

Incidentally, I'm typing this on my IPod Touch. ;)

I don't understand all of the hate for Macs.

I don't hate Macs, I just don't get all the hype. (Now I did HATE my iPod Nano. Returned it for a Philips player with more features and a bigger screen and paid around $50 less for it.)

I've had my Mac little over three months and I thoroughly enjoy using it. This is the only hiccup I've ever had with it. It isn't some magical machine of dreams and wonders, but it does function better than my PC. One great example is this issue I've just been having with it: if it had happened on my PC, and I had to re-install the OS, I would have had to back everything up and spend an hour and a half re-installing (I've done this about 6 times in five years on my PC). On my Mac, I could just Archive and Re-Install, no problem. It's not the perfect solution, but it's better.

I'm not going to sit here and get involved with a Mac/PC pissing contest. Just, fuck off. Take that to the wall out back and enjoy admiring each others pricks.

Thales: Yeah, it was all the things on my screen though (The specific email I had open in Thunderbird and a few documents open in Adobe). I wanted to effectively put it to sleep, but the thing is, the fan keeps going and it gets heated up in my bag if I do that. I put it in Deep Sleep instead (a plug-in feature for the Dashboard, like 'Hibernate' in Windows).

I'm not going to sit here and get involved with a Mac/PC pissing contest. Just, fuck off. Take that to the wall out back and enjoy admiring each others pricks.

Is that what you boys do? :lol:

I don't, but I can. Buy a PC. ;)

I have been sorely dissapointed in the value of any Apple product I've owned. The aura around a mac is marketing hype. They are machines like any other. Oh, and they are more expensive for the funcitonality. Yes, they are leading edge and pretty. That's their strong suit.

There was a thread awhile back about Apple getting sued by someone for anti-trust and I said it was difficult to feel sympathy for them because I didn't respect the way the market their products (namely the Mac vs PC commercials).

Someone suggested I should leave the forum because of it.

Maybe you should leave the forum Kendall.

DON'T. MESS. WITH. MACS. MAN.

Also, Tenure, your Mac wont start up because you bought a Mac. ;)