Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Book Club

Rate this topic

Kimm

... Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm Series, suggested by Stephen Speicher--possibly out of print

Just to clarify, I did not suggest the Matt Helm series for your book club. I was just making a personal comment to you, to the effect that if you liked the Mike Hammer series then you might also enjoy Matt Helm. I doubt that it would be of general interest to all.

But, if you do want a recommendation for a book that should interest all, I would suggest Herbert Busemann's classic Metric Methods in Finsler Spaces and in the Foundations of Geometry. Great plot! :D

But, if you do want a recommendation for a book that should interest all, I would suggest Herbert Busemann's classic Metric Methods in Finsler Spaces and in the Foundations of Geometry. Great plot!

I LOVE Busemann's "Metric Methods"! I have the braille-for-the-non-blind edition. Kept me on the edge of my seat right up until the last page!

Betsy and Kitty Hawk, are you both comfortable with preparing some prompting questions and possibly leading the discussion?  If not, we'll come up with something else. 

I'll post questions late today or tomorrow. (I'm on deadline for CyberNet now).

Can a moderator set up a separate section on the forum for the Book Club?

My votes;

Book 1

I vote, as Betsy suggests, to start with a section of Atlas Shrugged.

1) We probably all have it available, so we can get the experiment going soon.

2) It's a good book.

3) It is as Objectivist and fiction.

4) We could join a book club anywhere if we wanted to study non-objectivist literature.

Book 2

AS could potentially last a lifetime, maybe we don't need a second book?! :lol:

But if we do; any of the Mickey Spillane novel would be completely new to me and (I am guessing) it would be a complete contrast to Ayn Rand?

Brent

I have never replied to myself before...is this the first sign of madness?

Another suggestion for titles:

Didn't Dr. Peikoff's do a lecture series on great works of literature? We could follow that on the basis that if he saw value in those books for Objectivists to study, then that's good enough for me at this stage!

Brent

I'm definitely in. Never been part of a book club before though.

It would be great if we could start with excerpts from Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead, as I have those books in my possession (I'm away from home). If Victor Hugo or the likes it is, then I have to go on a cheap book hunting spree, so make sure to name the book, much in advance.

Dinesh.

p.s. - It's been a long time since I last posted. This is my first post from my new college, feels good :lol:

I'm definitely in. Never been part of a book club before though.

It would be great if we could start with excerpts from Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead, as I have those books in my possession (I'm away from home). If Victor Hugo or the likes it is, then I have to go on a cheap book hunting spree, so make sure to name the book, much in advance.

Dinesh.

p.s. - It's been a long time since I last posted. This is my first post from my new college, feels good ;)

Perhaps we could do a book on cricket! Are you following the one day internationals? :)

Brent

If Victor Hugo or the likes it is, then I have to go on a cheap book hunting spree, so make sure to name the book, much in advance.

Dinesh.

p.s. - It's been a long time since I last posted. This is my first post from my new college, feels good ;)

You can find a free ebook of Les Miserables in Microsoft Reader format here.

Oh and btw, don't forget to check out the Electronic city, the IT and biotech parks while in bangalore :D . They are the some of the best looking parts of the city.

Manjari

Brent:

How'd you know that I love cricket? Have we talked about this before? I can talk about cricket for hours, I love the game ;) Not been able to follow the one-dayers as the schedule here is hectic (which is great by the way).

Manjari:

I am in Electronics City :D Getting a Post-Graduate Diploma in Software Tech from C-DAC (NCST). I'm boarding at the hostel in the institute, so practically living in one of the best places in Bangalore :) Are you from around here? Thanx for the link by the way.

Dinesh.

Brent:

How'd you know that I love cricket? Have we talked about this before? I can talk about cricket for hours, I love the game :) Not been able to follow the one-dayers as the schedule here is hectic (which is great by the way).

Dinesh,

We haven't talked cricket, but I have seen you writing about it on another thread.

To bring you up to date....England beat India in the first two ODI's. This was quite a surprise but, finally, England seem to be getting a decent (and young) team....and just in time to challenge for the ashes next year.

India have played Pakistan here in Toronto several times in recent years though, regretfully, I have never been able to go to the games.

Brent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
My suggestion is to start small. I'd like to pick a favorite scene in an Ayn Rand novel and discuss it to death for a week or two. (I'd like to do the "boy on the bicycle" scene at the beginning of the last book of The Fountainhead or Dagny and Francisco's childhood from Atlas.)

The next time we can take a new book or play by someone else and alternate like that as long as it is interesting to enough people.

Maybe GreedyCapitalist can set up a separate area on the board for Book Club topics.

hey, count me in if you are discussing Ayn Rand's novels chapter -by-chapter, or specific scenes or whatever. I would love to join a book discussion. and if we do scene-by scene, why don't we discuss the way Eddie Willars was abandoned on the Taggart Transcontinental, weeping over the TT symbol on the dead engine :) :'(

The book club needs a name and a description (introduction) for the forum. Volunteers?

why can't we just call it "The Book Club" and describe it as such? ;)

• 12 years later...

Until your post, the last one was in 2006.

It is a pinned topic, and depending on where it goes, sub-topics could be added with the warning that spoilers are likely to be encountered.

Aside from personally re-reading Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, and The Romantic Manifesto this year,  there was Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy Seals Lead And Win and Creating Christ: How Roman Emperors Created Christianity.