Objectivism Online Forum

One mind, two hands, three years

Rate this topic

wilicyote

Thanks,

My wife says I build boats the way some people do heroin. They pile up like so much cordwood in the back yard but I just can't stop.

I am from the Quenton Daniels school of boatbuilding, they are for me only. Although I must admit I have never had anyone ask to buy one so I can't say for sure if they are for sale or not. :confused:

It was objectivism that led me to wooden boats. I was raised in an abhorently sacrificial family and community. My parents were christian missionaries and I grew up in a community made up almost entirely of other fundamentalist missionaries and their children. I can relate to Ragnar having a father who was a bishop who disowned him. After discovering Rand I set out to do something purely for myself for the first time in my life. The product was a classic wooden sailboat, but the result within my mind and soul was like emerging from a coma.

Here is another one.

Paul

post-6129-1233204907_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilicyote

Very impressive! I have fantasized about one day buying a classic wooden powerboat like that, but it never occurred to me that it could be a DIY project!! I imagine it would require massive amounts of both patience and quality tools.

You will invest all your free time into that which you love and never look upon it as patience. Patience is what you need to endure things you dont like, not things you do like.

As for tools... most of my tools are junk, cheap and ordinary, the likes of which you would find in almost any man's garage. When I was a child I wanted to play soccer. I told my dad that I needed some soccer cleats. He said, the shoes don't make the player (we were very poor). I played barefoot and discovered he was right.... sort of. The percentage of my ability that was tied to the quality of my shoes was tiny. I have found it is the same with tools. It doesn't really take all that much. All the tools needed to make the canoe pictured above will fit into a five gallon bucket and cost less than $ 200.

Don't fantasize... just do.

Paul

Beautiful work! If the function of your boats matches their beauty then I'm sure you could have plenty of customers. Whether you could make a living selling boats depends on what price you can get and how long it takes you.

Are those cane seats in the canoe? I have a hunch that they won't last very long. I used to have a set of eight caned chairs and every year or so they needed re-caning.

My wife says I build boats the way some people do heroin. They pile up like so much cordwood in the back yard but I just can't stop.

So sell them! Make your wife happy by getting some money and clearing the yard, and then you'll have room to build another.

I am from the Quenton Daniels school of boatbuilding, they are for me only. Although I must admit I have never had anyone ask to buy one so I can't say for sure if they are for sale or not. :)

If no one has ever offered to buy one of your boats then you haven't been showing them to the right people.

John Link

Beautiful work! If the function of your boats matches their beauty then I'm sure you could have plenty of customers. Whether you could make a living selling boats depends on what price you can get and how long it takes you.

Are those cane seats in the canoe? I have a hunch that they won't last very long. I used to have a set of eight caned chairs and every year or so they needed re-caning.

So sell them! Make your wife happy by getting some money and clearing the yard, and then you'll have room to build another.

If no one has ever offered to buy one of your boats then you haven't been showing them to the right people.

John Link

Thanks for the encouragement John. You are right, I have not tried to market them... so who knows what the possibilities are.

However:

My time is worth about 20 bucks an hour at my day job. If I charged half that these boats will still be priced well out of the range of most people today. For example the runabout took about 3000 hours, plus materials costing $ 10,000. So at half my present wage that makes $ 40,000. For this amount of money a person could buy, off the lot, a larger, faster, more powerful and more useful fiberglass boat. That represents a premium for good looks that almost no one is willing to pay.

The canoe seats are indeed cane, and you are correct, after two years of moderate use, they are in need of repair already.

My time is worth about 20 bucks an hour at my day job. If I charged half that these boats will still be priced well out of the range of most people today. For example the runabout took about 3000 hours, plus materials costing $ 10,000. So at half my present wage that makes $ 40,000. For this amount of money a person could buy, off the lot, a larger, faster, more powerful and more useful fiberglass boat. That represents a premium for good looks that almost no one is willing to pay.

You only need to find one customer per boat, and I bet that there are individuals with the money, and the taste for beautiful boats, that would be happy to pay a premium for yours. Keep in mind that I don't know anything about the market for boats; I'm just responding to the beauty of yours.

The canoe seats are indeed cane, and you are correct, after two years of moderate use, they are in need of repair already.

I recommend you replace them with something else, unless you want to repair them repeatedly.

Thanks for the encouragement John. You are right, I have not tried to market them... so who knows what the possibilities are.

However:

It looks very nice, and I'm not even what you would call a "boat admirer" if there is such a thing...

...who knows unless you try to sell them. There was a young man who was born, grew up, and went to school right here in Elmira (where I live) some years ago. He used to buy clothes in NYC and then alter them and sell them at local shops downtown. After a few business ventures he eventually made it big. You've probably heard of him, his name is Tommy Hilfiger.

I really don't care about hand-made boats. You can say I'm neutral on the subject, I don't know a lot about boats to appreciate the end result. But I said it was impressive because I appreciate the work. It's good to see someone building something for themselves, and to be passionate and creative about something.

Or just something other than fiction writing.

Edited by Mammon

No, I used a few chisels and did it by hand. The inlay is walnut, thinned down to the proper thickness with a 3 X 18 portable belt sander.

Hand tool skills are pretty important and it looks like you've done a nice job of developing yours. I've been fooling around with woodworking for a number of years and have a shop full of tools to prove it. In fact, my wife accuses me of getting more enjoyment out of buying new tools than actually using them. :P Unfortunately time seems to be in short supply lately, so I don't get many opportunities to spend all day in the shop.

Don't be too sure that you wouldn't be able to make money at it. Here is a builder in BC that does handcrafted boats.

http://www.hilmarkboats.com/wooden_boats.html

Those are some pretty pricey row boats. Take a look at the Newfoundland Trap Skiff! $59,880!!! :D

As well, a simple google search showed a mass produced Criscraft wooden motorboat like your handmade one goes for $20,000.

I wouldn't think it would be impossible to find someone with enough money, taste and ego to want a one-of-a-kind handmade motorboat.