Objectivism Online Forum

Conflict Of Interest

Rate this topic

rjdagost

I just wanted to concede that I was wrong about many things i said. My friend mala explained it pretty well to me personally. I think my main confusions were i didnt know about concept of integration and also the difference between what is a whim and a desire. Thanks for your inputs to all who replied.

My new stance is that even a perfectly rational man does not have complete control over his emotions and it his possible for him to feel desires or whims that are not integrated with his concept of reality. But, a truely rational man will quickly dismiss the desire or modify/clarify the desire so that it fits with his concept of reality.

Inpector somehow i missed your last post and i wanted to address a few things.

First i want to clarify my apple example.

As for the apple, if it is Fred's apple, then you were MISTAKEN to have ever wanted THAT apple. Rationally, you can only want an apple that you deserve. You need to go get your own apple. No RATIONAL conflict of interest ever existed between you and Fred. It was ALWAYS Fred's apple; you merely had an irrational desire...
It was stupid. I meant the apple to be a metaphor for a goal they were trying to achieve and both trying to earn. this is just for the sake of clarifying the argument i intended to make even though i now hold it to be false.

"Being the best isn't something that is or is not "in someone's interest." Either they are the best, or they are not"

Being the best in the context of the discussion of the means "achieveing a goal which only one of the two can achieve." its not true that one can either achieve it if you possess the ability and put forth the effort required to earn the achievement. If ithe goals is in line with everything the that he rational understands, then being "the best" under the condition that he will have earned it is in his interest. But, there is NO CONFLICT in interests because his competitor will have the same context integrated in his desire for the achievement or being the best.

Edited by Gweg

So, it is not possible to desire something before you are certain whether or not it is you or another who deserves it? Is this not something that enters a rational mans mind before he discovers whether or not he does deserve it?

First, you are attempting to show that conflicts of interest exist between rational men. What anyone does or does not desire has no bearing on whether an actual conflict of interests exists!

As for your question on what someone desires; it is possible for a rational man to experience a desire which he may later discover is not rational, but it will dissolve as soon as he realizes the truth. He may accidentally have such desires, but he does not seek them consciously and he does seek to avoid them. And as I said, DESIRES do not dictate what is or is not in anyone's interests.

My new stance is that even a perfectly rational man does not have complete control over his emotions and it his possible for him to feel desires or whims that are not integrated with his concept of reality. But, a truely rational man will quickly dismiss the desire or modify/clarify the desire so that it fits with his concept of reality.

My quick examination of your new stance tells me it is correct.

I meant the apple to be a metaphor for a goal they were trying to achieve and both trying to earn. this is just for the sake of clarifying the argument i intended to make even though i now hold it to be false.

Ok, I get it. I hope my later responses were able to help clarify.

being "the best" under the condition that he will have earned it is in his interest. But, there is NO CONFLICT in interests because his competitor will have the same context integrated in his desire for the achievement or being the best.

I don't entirely understand what you mean here, but it looks like it could be right.