Objectivism Online Forum

Ah, Valentine's Day

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

Crusher of the single man's soul.

While I've had girlfriends throughout my teenage life, I've actually never been going out with someone around this time of year. It is like some kind of cruel joke.

But anyway, what are you young and old whipper snappers planning to do, if you actually have significant others? I was going to hang out with this girl I really like, but it seems she is having a family meltdown and is in no condition to entertain me.

While I am a firm believer in celebrating love everyday, I have to work late today, so my boyfriend and I celebrated Valentine's yesterday with a Hibachi dinner outing and will conclude the day today with chocolate fondue, strawberries, and some of my homemade vanilla sponge cake. Any holiday that involves the consumption of chocolate is great by my standards; I would still celebrate Valentine's Day in this manner even if I was single. :confused: Yummy!

Wow! Lucky guy. After 22 yrs. of marriage, I generally just get told to pick up my G.D. underwear. :P

Ha! Same here. 22 years in April. Feels like 44. I didn't get her crap, she dosen't even cook or clean house anymore.

She comes home from work, and lays on the bed untill I cook supper, then goes back to bed. Sometimes she gets on the computer. That's pretty much it.

You only live once...why live like this? If you're not happy, do something about it. After reading AS, I filed for divorce. I just couldn't take my husband's crap any longer. He was ruining me financially, psychologically, emotionally and just about any other way we can allow others to destroy our happiness.

I just listened to this lecture and found it very interesting and informative. Not only was I able to identify even more problems with my past marriage, I learned of new ideas and new ways to make sure my future marriage doesn't have the same problems.

Any relationship requires work. If you're not willing to put in the effort, perhaps the other party in the relationship is not of value to you and it's time to move on.

I certainly don't want to jump to any conclusions about your relationships, but if I were your partner and read what you posted, I would be hurt, angry and sad. If you are unhappy with the person that is supposed to reflect your highest values, does your problem lie with your partner, or you?

Oh, and as for Vday, on Friday, we went and saw jazz trumpeter, Chris Botti, with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra and it was wonderful! Saturday, we stayed home, ordered a pizza and enjoyed each others company. (I used to be in the restaurant business and there was no way a busy restaurant on Valentine's Day on a Saturday night was going to be fun for me.) :P

Edited by K-Mac

I certainly don't want to jump to any conclusions about your relationships, but if I were your partner and read what you posted, I would be hurt, angry and sad. If you are unhappy with the person that is supposed to reflect your highest values, does your problem lie with your partner, or you?

I can't speak for Bryan, but in my case, it (the underwear comment) is a running joke between my wife and I. Perhaps the :P smiley did not make that clear enough. We are actually pretty happy despite my inability to lift my underwear from the floor. :P

Of course, I certainly don't get called "sexycakes" anymore. :confused:

I can't say I've ever been called that one either. :lol:

As far as the smiley goes, sometimes people cover serious issues with humor. That's exactly why I added the part about not wanting to jump to conclusions. I just see so many people that are not happy in their relationships and seemingly do nothing about it (except perhaps cheat on their partner and/or bitch to anyone that will listen), so I wanted to throw my two cents in, for whatever it's worth.