Objectivism Online Forum

Blue Screen of Death/Display Driver Error in Vista

Rate this topic

kainscalia

I have had my Windows Vista machine for about a year now. I hate the OS but, for several reasons, I must bear with it.

This irregularity started happening about a week ago, that I know of. Someone was trying to see a youtube clip on my computer when suddenly it froze, for no apparent reason. As I understand it, it required a hard reset. Well, this event has become more and more frequent. To my recollection it frequently involves either Firefox or Safari being open, but I remember at least one occassion where it froze while I was doing something on the desktop.

There are several iterations of this crash: In one there is the aforementioned freeze with no further events. If I move the mouse I can see the cursor move very. very. very slowly- a milimeter at most every ten seconds or worse- but nothing responds and a hard reset is required. I get a blank screen followed a moment later with a "no signal" message. Computer is unresponsive and I have to do a hard reset. The second iteration has the screen suddenly going to the blue screen of death displaying, among its message lines, this:

"Attempt to reset display driver and recover from timeout has failed"

and a memory dump is initiated. Then a reboot, but which usually leads to a black screen where windows fails to initialize-- it doesn't tell you, it simply fails to do so. The other variant involves going straight to black, reboot, and fail.

In all cases windows seemingly fails to start up, which requires another hard reset. At this point I am given the option of running startup recovery, which (after several minutes) tells me it is incapable of fixing the problem, though ironically most of the time Windows starts up perfectly fine after this reboot. I can also boot in safe mode.

Since the machine didn't come with a Vista DVD, I can't reinstall the blasted demonseed. Any ideas as to what might be the matter with this? My system information is as follows:

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ (2CPUs), ~2.3Ghz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

DirectX version: 10

Display: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Note: The moment this hullaballoo started, I updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest version compatible with my version of Vista. Nothing seems to have changed. Does anyone have any idea as to what is transpiring in this mad box of mine?