Objectivism Online Forum

Teachers are pawns

Rate this topic

In my journalism class, my teacher (a sub) gave me a reading and told us to read it, then she would pass out the assignment. My friend and I scanned the reading to find that we had already learned it in history class last year. We started talking and she became confrontational. We claimed that we knew everything in the packet and that it was a waste of time. She then said the worst rationalization that I have ever heard from a teacher:

"Fine. Just waste your time then."

In my journalism class, my teacher (a sub) gave me a reading and told us to read it, then she would pass out the assignment. My friend and I scanned the reading to find that we had already learned it in history class last year. We started talking and she became confrontational. We claimed that we knew everything in the packet and that it was a waste of time. She then said the worst rationalization that I have ever heard from a teacher:

You started talking while the class was still in progress and other people were trying to read? How rude. I take the side of the teacher.

She then said the worst rationalization that I have ever heard from a teacher:

I'm not sure what this is a "rationalization" for? Or even if it "is" a "rationalization."

It is definitely a curious thing for a teacher to say.

...And definitely an out of context, response by the student(s), if the complain was much more than a lead-in to asking for some new material to work with. There's no reasonable expectation, or way for a substitute teacher to know what some student has or has not studied. Obviously, the irate student felt he was not getting his money's worth.

Did this take place in a public school? Or at a college?

Public schools get their funding from the looting of the countries citizens, i.e., literally robbed citizenry. In the case of a public school I'd say, get emancipated and get out of there, get a library card and educate your self.

In the case of college, I would complain I was not getting my moneys worth, i.e., what I agreed to when I applied to the school and what my tuition pays for. But, it is a waste of time to complain to a substitute teacher. They are there as an emergency measure.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by phibetakappa

In the case of college, I would complain I was not getting my moneys worth, i.e., what I agreed to when I applied to the school and what my tuition pays for.
Well, first it is rude to disrupt class to complain. Second, you've inverted the student - university agreement relationship there. The university agrees to allow you in if you pay money. Check carefully to see whether you actually have a contract that guarantees particular course content. It's not unknown for there to be enforceable content contracts, but generally satisfaction is not guaranteed.

Please. You guys started talking while the sub was there because you could. There's very little she could do to you.

And she reacted because you were dicks, by talking over her.

I'm not a teacher, but if I were her, you would've been in front of the class, explaining every little detail of that lesson for the most important grade I would have the power to give you. I guess I'm not teacher material :dough:

But I guess if she had any pride in her work, she could've maybe done what I described above to whoever was the biggest dick, and tthen she should've opened the class up to a conversation on this subject everyone was familiar with.

But.... but... talking in class... that's freedom of speech right? :dough:

Seriously, I wonder if it was the talking that brought her reaction. Perhaps not the talking as much as how you responded when being asked to stop. From what you say, it sounds like you were rude. It's one thing to say you've read something before, and different to editorialize that it's a waste of time.

Alternatively: "we've read this before, can we go on to the next step"... or "we've read this before, can we do some alternative reading"... I don't know, depends on the context. Sounds like you were basically not interested.

Edited by softwareNerd

You started talking while the class was still in progress and other people were trying to read? How rude. I take the side of the teacher.

We started talking because she refused to give us the assignment. When she came to tell us to be quiet, we politely asked for it, and the argument began. And keep in mind that this is a high school class. I am forced to be there.

Edited by Mr. Wynand

• 1 year later...

Talking in class is distracting. If you focus on overtly rebelling because you are forced to be there you will waste your time. Perhaps you could be more discrete in your resistance to mediocrity by having something you are interested in to read while you are waiting for the assignment. Preferably reading something that the teacher would be unjustified in discouraging.

If the teachers are pawns you can use them on your chess board too. If you want to get more out of your school experience you can learn to use your interaction with teachers to your advantage. Come to some understanding with them in private about your tendency to be ahead of the class. As long as you are getting good grades, completing assignments, and not distracting others they shouldn't get in your way. I know this wont work with a sub, but even a sub can be inspired to do a better job if you communicate to them in the right way.