Objectivism Online Forum

States Fund Budgets With Contents Of Safety Deposit Boxes

Rate this topic

prosperity

I'm not sure if this is necessarily new news, but it's definitely shocking. Apparently we've moved from covert theft by the State to overt theft in this country. As for attempting to contact owners who have abandoned their property, I guess that depends on whether they truly abandoned their property. What I noticed is that there isn't a lot mentioned on what is being done to get property to their owners where the property wasn't abandoned. This seems to me like outright, overt, theft - it's like a common thug stealing your stuff.

I really doubt the Swiss will give in to America's request for access to swiss accounts. They would immediately lose all their business, even people who don't live in America, because they wouldn't be able to trust the Swiss. Obama -would- have to invade to get at that cash, and then he'd be seen as the evil fascist he is.

In Michigan, the state's escheat law is particularly aggressive. If you buy a gift certificate and forget to use it, the certificate becomes the property of the state. The same thing is true if you have unclaimed wages at a former job. Michigan even collects unclaimed bottle deposits from beverage retailers, under its escheat laws. This state's politicians have elevated theft to an art form.