Objectivism Online Forum

Moving to new server

Rate this topic

FYI, I just ordered a new server, to which I'll be moving this site. Even though it's much faster, it's actually cheaper than the current one.

Here are the specs:

2 Intel \ 3.0GHz 1333 FSB - Harpertown \ Xeon 5450 Quad Core

1 Dell \ 6 Drive Max \ Drive Bay for 2950

1 Dell \ 1066/1333FSB Dual Xeon \ PowerEdge 2950

1 Dell \ 9G Drive Controller - SAS/SATA - budget raid \ SAS 6/iR

2 Generic \ 1024 MB \ DDR2 667 FB DIMM

2 Western Digital \ 250GB:SATA:7200RPM \ WD2500JD

Installed Software

- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 - x86_64 - OS Web

If you'd like to help with the move, let me know!

If you're having problems with responsiveness now, you should bump up the RAM to the absolute max. Web servers with high loads need huge amounts of ram to maintain session state.

Also - are you running the web and the DB on the same server? That's a CPU killer, because the web server and the db server fight for cpu time simultaneously.

If you're having problems with responsiveness now, you should bump up the RAM to the absolute max. Web servers with high loads need huge amounts of ram to maintain session state.

Only if the sessions are stored in memory. By default, PHP stores the sessions on the hard drive and doesn't really suck down the memory much. I can't speak for IIS and ASP as I haven't worked with those in years. RAM is even more critical for database servers.

Also - are you running the web and the DB on the same server? That's a CPU killer, because the web server and the db server fight for cpu time simultaneously.

I was thinking the same thing.

This site uses that much processing power? How many pageviews does this do? What are the current specs?

This server runs dozens of sites, some of which pay the bills. The current server is running a dual 1.81 Ghz dual core Opteron.

Ahh, I see. I didn't realize it wasn't just OO.net hosted here.

Have you given any thought to Cloud Computing? I host all my sites myself also (maintaining something like 12-13 servers), but if I was starting fresh, I think I would choose to use something like Slicehost.com or Mosso.com rather than dealing with the hardware and potential downtimes myself.

Edited by Chops