Objectivism Online Forum

Hey; Mr. Spaceman

Rate this topic

Space Patroller

Ever since I was 4, I was fascinated by flying things, especially airplanes.

In the spring of 1952, when I was about 6-1/2 there was a TV neswreel show. One of the clips was the now-famous one with a rocket being launched carrying an earthward pointing camera that lasted a whole 2 minutes.

I got the Space Bug Really Bad.

About mid-May of that year, my cousin Jackie Souza came over for the weekend. Saterday morning he commandeered the TV.

What follows is the result of that incident. I was never the same since then. But for this, I would not be an Objectivist.

http://spacepatrol.us

Use the Retro Rockets image link. and strap in

This site has the blessing of Jean-Noel Bassior, Author of SPACE PATROL: DARING MISSIONS IN THE NAME OF EARLY TELEVISION and is the closest thing to an official site.

BUZZ CORRY WANTS YOU!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but Capt. Kirk rules. :lol:

There is a mid-1970's Trek/Rand connection. Sondra Marshak of STAR TREK: THE NEW VOYAGERS Was a fan of Ayn Rand. However, ST degenerated into such liberal claptrap such as supporting the eco's that I had to jettison it. After the first season, Kirk became a joke.

The scientific utopia of the thirtieth century projected by Space Patrol is just what I see Galt's Gulch being the major force in the creation of.

With it's pro Welfare state, pro eco, pro self-deterrence and pro mysticism (support for Bejoran religion and treating Klingon religion like they matter). Star Trek is so far away from anything resembling Ayn Rand or even the better sorts of anything else that I don't even know how they could have made it beyond the moon or the year 2187

In a poll taken within the last decade,

http://www.bmonster.com/default.php

Ed Kemmer. aka Buzz Corry of Space Patrol was voted the #1 spaceman of all time.

I did like the first season of ST and was a fan but that was before it degenerated and I think what we were in love with was what it might and ought to have been; Space Patrol writ large. Also the middle 1960's liberal (not the whackjobs of the Free/Filthy Speech crowd; See "The Cashing In; The Student 'Rebellion'", and hippies, I mean the real liberals, one of which I was) stil had some semblence of rationality were not the creepy-crawlers of the post 1970 New Left or what Agnew called "Radiclibs". However the handwriting was on the wall.