Objectivism Online Forum

Americans ought to sacrifice more

Rate this topic

here's the link

The Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said in his speech today we ought to sacrifice more.

Our country and our principles are more important than our individual wants,

So to preserve freedom and the pursuit of happiness we need ot give up those same rights? Contradictions abound.

here's the link

The Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said in his speech today we ought to sacrifice more.

So to preserve freedom and the pursuit of happiness we need ot give up those same rights? Contradictions abound.

Just when you thought it was safe to think conservatives had learned. Well, this is what I should do. say "The conservatives only talk about sacrifice. the liberals actually implement it, so why would anyone wit a moral compass even go near the conservatives?"

Gee, it's a good thing that Buckley threw us out of the conservative movment in the early 60's, ain't it? As far as I'm concerned the conservatives, qua movement, are to be used and then discarded when we can take over the Right. However, there was, in fact a brief alliance between 1976 and the mid to late 1980's between the better conservatives and the greater part of the Objectivist movement that united around saving the economy from the depradations wrought by the libs/Dems. But at that time, the conservatives, in order to stave off the eco's appeared to have learned where their breat was buttered. I guess Tolkien is right: Old Hobbits die hard.

Ayn Rand commented on this kind of thing 45 years ago and some of those comments are in CAPITALISM: THE UNKNOWN IDEAL

Edited by Space Patroller