Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivsm Through Induction CDs

Rate this topic

Steve Carlson

Hello,

My question comes in two parts:

First, does anyone have familiarity with the Objectivism Through Induction CD (Peikoff) set offered by ARI bookstore? I am concerned with the usefulness of the material, as well as the quality of recording.

Secondly, what are your experiences with other audio based products offered through ARI bookstore? Some of the titles are of interest, though I would like to be confident of the quality and usefullness of the content before making a purchasing decision.

Cheers,

Steve

First, does anyone have familiarity with the Objectivism Through Induction CD (Peikoff) set offered by ARI bookstore? I am concerned with the usefulness of the material, as well as the quality of recording.

Absolutely ground-breaking lectures. When he first gave this course, it totally changed my views on philosophy. The course that is for sale is of very high quality.

Secondly, what are your experiences with other audio based products offered through ARI bookstore?

I have many courses and there isn't a single one that wasn't worth the money. If it's a topic that interests you, I'll bet that you will get new insights and that you will benefit from the course.

Absolutely ground-breaking lectures. When he first gave this course, it totally changed my views on philosophy. The course that is for sale is of very high quality.

I have many courses and there isn't a single one that wasn't worth the money. If it's a topic that interests you, I'll bet that you will get new insights and that you will benefit from the course.

Bowzer,

In what specific way did those particular lectures change your views on philosophy?

I'm thinking of getting either the "Objectivism by Induction" lectures or the "Understanding Objectivism" lectures. I am also toying with the idea of buying "The Art of Thinking." It's got to be one of those three for right now. Which, in your opinion, is the most valuable?

I already have a good number of courses: both histories of philosophy; the introduction to logic; "Induction in Physics and Philosophy"; "Integration as the Essence of Personal Identity"; and quite a few others.

Thanks.

Is "Induction in Physics and Philosophy" a follow-up of "Objectivism Through Induction", because Peikoff mentions a follow-up course in OTI?

His statements gave me the impression that he was intending to use OTI as the substance for inducing the broader pinciples of induction.

Or, did he realize that he first needed a broader understanding of Induction in practice, and thus chose to investigate and incorporate the Physics perspective into his course?

Is "Induction in Physics and Philosophy" a follow-up of "Objectivism Through Induction", because Peikoff mentions a follow-up course in OTI?

His statements gave me the impression that he was intending to use OTI as the substance for inducing the broader pinciples of induction.

Or, did he realize that he first needed a broader understanding of Induction in practice, and thus chose to investigate and incorporate the Physics perspective into his course?

I wouldn't exactly call it a follow-up, but yes, I think the OTI lectures were the basis for the material he uses in the IPP lectures. He first demonstrates induction in physics, using particular examples; then, he demonstrates induction in philosophy (i.e., Objectivism) using a few examples; then, he makes the case for induction being common to both fields.

That's why I bought the IPP course first, thinking that it would be a cost-effective way of getting some elements of OTI in one package.

However, if the OTI lectures help illuminate Objectivism significantly - even for above-average, non-ARI students - I might buy it.

I'm thinking of getting either the "Objectivism by Induction" lectures or the "Understanding Objectivism" lectures.

In my opinion, "Understanding Objectivism" is not only the best course Peikoff has ever given, but it is the most immediately useful to someone seeking to understand and apply Objectivism to his own life.

I know so many young Objectivists who have used the realistic and down-to-earth insights in that course to save themselves YEARS of errors in the process of becoming a well-integrated Objectivist.

In my opinion, "Understanding Objectivism" is not only the best course Peikoff has ever given, but it is the most immediately useful to someone seeking to understand and apply Objectivism to his own life. 

I know so many young Objectivists who have used the realistic and down-to-earth insights in that course to save themselves YEARS of errors in the process of becoming a well-integrated Objectivist.

Years?

Now I know which CD Lecture set to invest in next.

Thank you very much for this recommendation. I'll get to work immediately.

That is the last word on the subject. Absolutley, positively essential. Don't bother getting the other ones until after this one.

At 18 when I read the Fountainhead, I was immediately and eternally hooked on Objectivism. Over the last 6 years, I have read relatively little of anything else. I even had the fortune of having Dr. Ridpath as a teacher for two years.

But I was Rationalistic. And I had a friend who inspired me to get out of the enigmatic circlular cycle. His constant question was why, how do you know? And we had such a connection that I needed to find the answer. I knew Objectivism was right because nothing ever in my life struck me with so much common sense and so much ease.

Later I was horribly shocked to find how hard it is for other people to see the simplicity of Objectivism.

But back to my friend? How do you know! Well, DesCartes asked that too!

Listening to those lectures provided me with the confidence that the answer is there for me to grasp with enough effort. And the truth is open to anyone who is willing to do the work.

Over the years I am only confident with a handful of Objectivist principles but they are enough of a foundation for me to smilingly proceed along my journey.

And so Peikoff told me that there are answers but one needs to know the method. The way I see the course, it is an introduction to the expansion of the guidelines layed down in Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology by Ayn Rand.

Interestinlgy, when I asked my professor about the value of the lecture, he told me that "it will teach you how to learn". And that has always stayed with me. It has stayed because I realized that it is reduction that one engages in when one is studying another thinker. Hopefully, the thinker was inductive and thus has done most of the work for you.

But perhaps the biggest value, is the connection with the Romantic drama writing process. The creative artistic experience is reductive. The receptive artistic experience is inductive. But for Ayn Rand the planning was reductive but the writing was so much inductive: And that is when Art--and science--is an end in itself.

Americo.