Objectivism Online Forum

De-Baptisim

Rate this topic

Zip

:lol: That's great!

Reminds me of my mother. Every so often at the end of church service, when the pastor would ask if anyone was ready to become a member of the church (be baptized), my mother would always lean over and ask me if I was ready. I never was. I was always a doubter, even from a young age. I remember the day my little brother decided to go up there. He just popped up and went. Surprised the hell out of all of us.

For me, this was one of the most liberating aspects of Objectivism...having the option to believe in no higher power or authority. For whatever reason, I just hadn't allowed myself that option yet. I'm not sure why. I guess I was just raised to believe in something even though I didn't really buy it?? :)

Since I became an Objectivist I have not had one bit of doubt about the core principles or doctrine. That's what happens when you don't ask persons to believe in elves, ghosts and goblins. In fact, if you were to ask me, I'd be willing to believe that the philosophical system was custom designed for me the fit is so perfect

I was baptized before I ate solid foods, but I've never tried to use faith as a means of knowledge... guess the process didn't take ;)

It didn't soak in? Ba dump dump! :P

There's no baptism per se in Judaism. There is something else, though, so maybe you all were lucky to face just a little bit of water on the head...

Are you kidding?! I was from a Baptist church, they put your whole body in a mini pool, cover your nose and mouth and dunk ya.

So sick and funny all at once. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abEm1241kY

Edited by K-Mac

Are you kidding?! I was from a Baptist church, they put your whole body in a mini pool, cover your nose and mouth and dunk ya.

Well, I suppose if you're going to name a sect for one act, you'll have to make the most of it :)

Still far short of sharp instruments in delicate body parts, though.

And FYI, converts to Judaism (if any) get to undergo some sort of ritual bath.

From what I heard, is that not mostly a mainstream American thing?

The practice is slowly losing it's popularity, but I believe more than 60% of newborn boys are still circumised over here.

I don't really see the point of "de-baptism," unless you are just trying to piss off your parents, asserting some adolescent rebellion. if you don't believe, what is the point?

And FYI, converts to Judaism (if any) get to undergo some sort of ritual bath.

well, it is a halachic requirement that converts to (Orthodox) Judaism are fully immersed in a mikveh (a ritual bath with certain rules - e.g. part has to be fed by rainwater), where certain prayers and vows are said and made by the Rabbi and convert (this is after a year of Torah study and Jewish history classes etc) the immersion is to achieve a spiritual purity, but the actual conversion usually happens a short while later, when the bet din (religious court) assess the candidate and agree to the conversion.

- practices vary for reform (liberal) and masorti (conservative) congregations, which do not hold to traditional Jewish law. most liberal synagogues give it as an option, many conservative rabbis still require it.

- practices vary for reform (liberal) and masorti (conservative) congregations, which do not hold to traditional Jewish law. most liberal synagogues give it as an option, many conservative rabbis still require it.

I first heard about ti whan my sister in-law convereted shortly before marrying my bother.

Mexico having a rather small Jewish community (I'd say around 100,000 people), things are more interconnected. So while my brother attends a conservative synagogue, the conversion was done at an orthodox one, at least parts of it were, for some reason havnig to do with keeping peace within the community (I really don't get involved in such things).

One of my favorite comedies is the film Ed Wood, with Johnny Depp.

In one part of the film, Ed Wood can't find anyone to fund the making of his movie Plan 9 from Outer Space. As a last resort, he turns to the First Baptist Church of Beverly Hills. They agree to give him the money, on one condition: that the entire cast and crew of his upcoming "masterpiece" be baptized! One of the people in line for baptism is played by Bill Murray. When he is about to be immersed and the pastor asks him "Are you prepared to renounce Satan and all his evils?", Murray replies: "Sure!"