Objectivism Online Forum

The Pot is Beginning to Boil

Rate this topic

Inertiatic

North Korea Launches a Missile

(Sorry I got it from Yahoo!, but it was the first place I saw it.)

All the tension we and apparently South Korea, Japan, and, surprisingly, China have with North Korea reminds me of pre-World War One Europe, especialy the Balkan region. I could be off, though.

Either way, this piece of news is scary.

But don't worry, guys, the UN is on its way to stop the bad guys! I'm certain they'll figure out how to fix this mess, just like they always do! Hey--here's an idea for them: make South Korea, Japan, and China give all of their missiles to North Korea. That oughta show 'em.

;)

Edited by Inertiatic

That the launch was allowed to go off without any attempts to prevent it, by the U.S. and other western powers, shows the continuing weakness of the U.S. and their willingness to let enemies go to great lengths to threaten interests. This is the third launch of its kind and so far the most successful; the rocket went further than before and showed that they can launch a rocket anytime they want, with any payload, so long as they announce it and claim they're launching a satellite.

This is off the Japanese Foreign Ministry website:

5. Food aid to North Korea

(1) To date, the Government of Japan has implemented approximately 1.18 million ton of food aid to North Korea through the World Food Program (WFP) and so on.

(2) From September 18 to 22, 2001, Japan dispatched an observation team to ascertain the condition of distribution and use of rice offered as food aid. The team confirmed that rice was distributed according to their intended aims, in each observation site. Furthermore, the recipient North Korean organization and those at each observation site expressed their gratitude for Japan's aid.

(3) To assist the people hurt in a train explosion accident that occurred on April 22 in Ryongchon, North Korea, Japan decided on April 25 to extend emergency assistance of medical supplies equivalent to 100,000 dollars through U.N. organizations.

As long as they are aiding their own enemy (and seem proud of it), why is it our job to prevent Kim Jong Il from launching rockets at them? The cold war is over, so there no longer exists a strategic reason for American troops at the DMZ.

I think the best course of action would be to withdraw from South Korea (they can take care of themselves, there's no way the North would ever be able to conquer them), and keep bases in Japan, where we need them for strategic reasons. That way perhaps the countries in the region would get a sense of "them or us", and stop supplying the North with everything they need to keep this up.

That said, Obama did once again show weakness, and failed to go through with his threats, which will embolden our actual enemies.

It's just a game, people. North Korea escalates threatening noises until someone pays them a few billion to shut up for a while. The North Korean elite goes and blows it all on movies, gambling and prostitutes, and Western politicians get foreign policy credit. After the N. Koreans blow all their cash, they start grunting again and cycle continues.

It's just a game, people. North Korea escalates threatening noises until someone pays them a few billion to shut up for a while. The North Korean elite goes and blows it all on movies, gambling and prostitutes, and Western politicians get foreign policy credit. After the N. Koreans blow all their cash, they start grunting again and cycle continues.

When a belligerent country gains weapons like that you don't treat it as a game, you destroy their ability to make war. That's what should be done here.

I am not too worried about this. If it were to touch our shores, North Korea would cease to be. The Koreans are not religious fanatics, and they aren't stupid. Kimmy just wants to be important. He's got some kind of complex and lucky for him he is the leader of a slavepen.

I am not too worried about this. If it were to touch our shores, North Korea would cease to be. The Koreans are not religious fanatics, and they aren't stupid. Kimmy just wants to be important. He's got some kind of complex and lucky for him he is the leader of a slavepen.

I don't think China would take too kindly to N. Korea being blown off the map. :D

I don't think China would take too kindly to N. Korea being blown off the map. :(

All the more reason for them to rein him in, no?

Post-9/11, any attack MUST be answered swiftly and with extreme malice. Any leader that tries to "parse" a response will become instantly marginalized. They wouldn't dare risk that.