Objectivism Online Forum

Serpico

Rate this topic

Charles T.

I just saw "Serpico" again, starring Al Pacino. I had forgotten what an inspirational film this is, so dramatically and poignantly illustrating one man's integrity and dedication to attaining his goals without any dishonesty or self-deception, in the face of daunting intimidation and isolation. That it is factually-based makes it that much more inspiring.

When I was younger I loved Al Pacino and DeNiro. The gangster films are done, at least, quite well. I've always meant to see that film but never got around to doing it.

Can you please summarize the plot for me?

I've actually been thinking of renting some movies this weekend because I haven't seen a movie in many months, except on television.

Americo.

P.S. Anthony Hopkins is my favorite actor because of his spectacular ability at camelionism. He can do any role and even if he doesn't look like the subject he still can become the subject.

I just saw "Serpico" again, starring Al Pacino.  I had forgotten what an inspirational film this is, so dramatically and poignantly illustrating one man's integrity and dedication to attaining his goals without any dishonesty or self-deception, in the face of daunting intimidation and isolation.  That it is factually-based makes it that much more inspiring.

If you liked the movie, consider buying the book: Peter Maas, Serpico. It is available in inexpensive paperback.

Despite the partly sad, partly proud ending, I consider it one of the best nonfiction stories I have ever read. It also provides an insight into both the corruption and the greatness of U. S. culture.

Can you please summarize the plot for me?

From IMBD:

"Serpico is a cop in the early 1970s. Unlike all his colleagues, he refuses a share of the money that the cops routinely extort from local criminals. Nobody wants to work with Serpico, and he's in constant danger of being placed in life threatening positions by his "partners". Nothing seems to get done even when he goes to the highest of authorities. Despite the dangers he finds himself in, he still refuses to 'go with the flow', in the hope that one day, the truth will be known."

From IMBD:

"Serpico is a cop in the early 1970s. Unlike all his colleagues, he refuses a share of the money that the cops routinely extort from local criminals. Nobody wants to work with Serpico, and he's in constant danger of being placed in life threatening positions by his "partners". Nothing seems to get done even when he goes to the highest of authorities. Despite the dangers he finds himself in, he still refuses to 'go with the flow', in the hope that one day, the truth will be known."

sounds like me amongst my brothers.

they are all liars and cheats. their motto in life is 'never play an ace when a three will do' and to them it means why work hard when someone else will? they never give things their all, they just do enough to slide by.