Objectivism Online Forum

Gov. Perry (TX) about states' rights

Rate this topic

Gov. Rick Perry today joined state Rep. Brandon Creighton and sponsors of House Concurrent Resolution (HCR) 50 in support of states’ rights under the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

He also mentions individual rights.

But what do you think of this resolution?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R...ml/HC00050I.htm

Yeah, I saw the first part this morning. The bearded older guy(the TX senator) in the middle made the most sense, even though he was brief and stumbled over his own words. (he mentioned individual rights and founding principles, rather than the usual partisan propaganda--came across as honest and thoughtful, rather than conniving, like most politicians do these days)

Perry said that government is best when it is closest to the people, which argument does have some merit, but only when it comes to administrative and management issues. He and his kind also want power over individuals in the hands of states, in cases where the Supreme Court or the feds may decide in favor of individual rights, like abortion rights, gay marriage, separation of State and Church, etc.

And then I got bored with the same empty clichés---plus, I had the distinct feeling that he's bored with them too, and is just spouting them off like it's a chore. So I turned off the TV.