Objectivism Online Forum

Whats A Good Book On Monopolys?

Rate this topic

Moral_Free

I'm looking for a good book on the monopoly fallacy especially one covering Microsoft.  If anyone knows of one or two I would love to know.  Thanks.

A good place to start is the first third of "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" by Rand.. monopolies are covered, at least the Objectivist viewpoint

TB

"The Myth of the Robber Barons" disscusses the classic examples of monopoloies like John Rockefeller and James J. Hill. Its written by Burton Folsom. It is a great disscussion of the difference between coercive and market monopolies and the fact that people never cared about the difference.

I'm looking for a good book on the monopoly fallacy especially one covering Microsoft.  If anyone knows of one or two I would love to know.  Thanks.

The definitive, pro-market treatment of monopoly theory is D.T. Armentano's Antitrust and Monopoly (New York: Holmes and Meier, 1990).

Professor Armentano has a shorter, more recent work, Antitrust: The Case for Repeal, which specifically addresses the Microsoft case. It can be ordered here:

http://www.mises.org/store/product1.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=10

The Austrian-Objectivist economist George Reisman has two good articles about the Microsoft case at

http://www.capitalism.net/articles/BriefMS...Top%20of%20Page

and

http://www.capitalism.net/BriefMS2.htm#Top%20of%20Page

I can absolutely agree with your recomendation. Burton is a conservative of the Russell Kirk school. He is dead on with this book however. I heard him speak and grabbed the book in 87 or so. He was a brilliant prof of business history and econ.

On a sidenote, he did mention that he liked Rand but disagreed with her on quite a bit, mainly the origin of rights being natural vs god given. He was more than comfortable talking to Objectivists since we had more in common with him than not. He used to work with a group in Houston that started taking high school students and teaching them about the free market. Teaching kids about capitalism: that is a brave act.

"The Myth of the Robber Barons" disscusses the classic examples of monopoloies like John Rockefeller and James J. Hill.  Its written by Burton Folsom.  It is a great disscussion of the difference between coercive and market monopolies and the fact that people never cared about the difference.

I read Capital: The Unknown Ideal it was very good! I just wanted something in depth on the Microsoft case mostly because everyone I talk to is sure Microsoft and other big monopolies did all thease illegal things to the other companies, like stealing ideas and using illegal tactics to put them out of business. I dont think this is true so I wanted to be sure. Thanks for your recommendations. I've gotten all of them and they look good.