Objectivism Online Forum

EPA: Global warming a health hazard

Rate this topic

Ok so here is the link to the story. Greenhouse gases are now a form of pollution, enforceable with the Clean Air Act. Now, if you do any activity that puts out CO2 you are polluting. Yay! I am polluting right now by being alive! I'm thinking this is very very bad.

This is a law that cannot be enforced 100%. So I suppose that this law will be the kind of one that is a "suggestion" and its not that "serious"...If you would just cooperate, Mr.Reardon, and give me my bribe, this would all go so much more smoothly. Unless this can be declared unconstitutional, the USA is DONE FOR!

Ok so here is the link to the story. Greenhouse gases are now a form of pollution, enforceable with the Clean Air Act. Now, if you do any activity that puts out CO2 you are polluting. Yay! I am polluting right now by being alive! I'm thinking this is very very bad.

This is a law that cannot be enforced 100%. So I suppose that this law will be the kind of one that is a "suggestion" and its not that "serious"...If you would just cooperate, Mr.Reardon, and give me my bribe, this would all go so much more smoothly. Unless this can be declared unconstitutional, the USA is DONE FOR!

I hope it is enforced. Perhaps politicians will be the first to be tried seeing as how they expel the most CO2 laden hot air on the planet.

I hope it is enforced. Perhaps politicians will be the first to be tried seeing as how they expel the most CO2 laden hot air on the planet.

Since it is not enforceble totally it will be enforced selectively. Now I can really talk about the eoc-crackers' Carbon mothprint. That was one of my jokes five months ago (I said of Al Gore "I'm not worried about any carbon footprint. I'm worried about his carbon mouthprint"). To quote Felix Unger: Egad! I'm Rosemary's Baby!

POLLUTINT IS PATRIOTIC!!!! AAAWWWW---RIIIGGHHTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

How does one fight bullshit like this? I was going to say that my industry, construction, will be hit hard by these kinds of regulations, but all it really does is pass the cost of being "green" to the consumer. Does nobody understand that? Forcefully increasing costs on a producer passes the cost onto the consumer. And all because of a bit of pollution. It makes no sense.

This is definitely going to trickle up to Canada...get control of your damn government!

This is definitely a very evil ruling, as it means that each individual selectively (i.e. mostly industry) will be held accountable for "global effects" since we cannot live without some sort of carbon footprint. It's just a means of having further control over us, to regulate us to death, by means of an improper standard. You know, I don't even think they care that it is pseudo-science and can't be confirmed -- if we are willing to go along with it and keep electing these officials, they will be able to control how much we breath and fart. Maybe it is a bit crude to put it that way, but they are talking about regulating cow flatulence as a major source of greenhouse gases! They are getting closer and closer to being explicit that to live as man is to be evil. Do not accept the idea that you living your life puts everyone else on the planet in danger. This is monstrous!

I was watching a History Channel show about things that could possibly end human life on earth, including the usual suspects like volcanic activity, asteroids, and nuclear holocaust. But I was quite surprised to see that the supposed number one cause of the end of human life was global warming. They had a bunch of climate scientists on there but sadly I do not remember any of their names. They did have Al Gore, of course, and I certainly remember that. Al Gore declared that there was "no controversy" except that which was "manufactured". One of the other scientists seriously, with a straight face, compared so-called "climate change deniers" with holocaust deniers. Needless to say I was a bit disturbed. I haven't completely made up my mind on climate change yet but this show did not impress and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Certainly the fact that the IPCC report and several other governmental reports were presented as the gospel truth was worrisome. Where is the peer-reviewed literature?

I was watching a History Channel show about things that could possibly end human life on earth, including the usual suspects like volcanic activity, asteroids, and nuclear holocaust. But I was quite surprised to see that the supposed number one cause of the end of human life was global warming. They had a bunch of climate scientists on there but sadly I do not remember any of their names. They did have Al Gore, of course, and I certainly remember that. Al Gore declared that there was "no controversy" except that which was "manufactured". One of the other scientists seriously, with a straight face, compared so-called "climate change deniers" with holocaust deniers. Needless to say I was a bit disturbed. I haven't completely made up my mind on climate change yet but this show did not impress and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Certainly the fact that the IPCC report and several other governmental reports were presented as the gospel truth was worrisome. Where is the peer-reviewed literature?

Actually I agree but not for the reasons they claim. Rather, it will be by forcing everyone to adhere to some idiotic standards of what is allegedly "good for the environment" which will cause the collapse of our civilization.

No, elections do NOT matter much. The ball started rolling on this under Bush.

The *culture* matters.

You're right Steve, the culture matters much more than elections, particularly when we are usually forced to choose between bad and worse. This ball actually started rolling back in 1970 under Nixon ® when he created the EPA. Of course, in order for Nixon to do such a thing, the 1960s radicals had to have already paved the way in the prevailing philosophy and culture. Unfortunately we are faced with more than a generation of people who have had it pounded into their heads from kindergarten forward that the Earth is being threatened by man. This ball is going to be particularly difficult to stop rolling.

I think you might get some value out of reading at least this article, and even more from watching The Great Global Warming Swindle.

Al Gore is a lying, conniving douche.

I was going to high school during the 70's and I can assure you that the ecologists (now environmentalist and nature freaks) were very active to getting their agenda into the culture and into politics. It was kind of a very vocal fringe at the time, which only goes to show that with enough time and effort -- and no principled response -- that one can put just about anything over on a populous. But the government run schools went whole hog with the presentation of the ecologists, so the movement must have gone back at least fifteen years before that (60's and late 50's), and Miss Rand was writing about them in her newsletters. So, there isn't anything new about them, except that after persevering for 30 years, their agenda has now become common cultural. This can actually give us some grounds for hope in that if we continue with our agenda then reason and man's life as the standard might hold sway in another twenty years or so -- think long-term! In the mean time, these environmentalists need to be fought ideologically, with reason on our side. They took a moral stance for nature excluding man, and we need to keep up the moral stance for man and his rights to adjust nature to his needs.

Ah, Thomas, but there is something new about them! Back then, we were heading for an ice age...now it's global warming! AHHHHHHH! :lol:

Not anymore. Since there is the occasional cold winter, now their worry is "cliamte change." That covers everything.

Back in the 70s the viros did indeed proclaim an approaching ice age, but it was all due to pollution in some form or another. Then it was global warming, again due to pollution. Now it's wahtever they say it is or is most expedient for them, but always due to pollution. So their intent remains the same.

What we'll begin to see are rising energy costs due to taxes, fees or regulations on CO2. Next some enterprising people will come up with alternatives to burning coal and/or oil. Any and all of these will be rejected on some ridiculous grounds (nuclear power is dirtier, wind turbines are visual pollution and threaten birds, hydroelectric threaten the salmon, I'e even heard bad things said about solar cells by viros).

What I hope happens is a tax on breathing. It won't, but that would make people take notice of how absurd the "CO2=pollutant" notion really is.

What I hope happens is a tax on breathing. It won't, but that would make people take notice of how absurd the "CO2=pollutant" notion really is.

No, we'll get a rebellion when they tax carbonated soft drinks -- when people have to pay an extra dollar per Coca-Cola, 7Up, Dr.Pepper, or Mountain Dew, they will get very irate. Trouble is they don't really see the taxes on gasoline because that is hidden, likewise with cigarettes (which -- oh my god! produce carbon emissions!). But you are right that in the 70's we were going to freeze to death, then it warmed up so they said we were going to burn up, that didn't happen in ten years so now they are blaming man for any atmospheric change. When it comes to the return of the primitives, any excuse will do so long as they are slowing the progress of man.

No, we'll get a rebellion when they tax carbonated soft drinks -- when people have to pay an extra dollar per Coca-Cola, 7Up, Dr.Pepper, or Mountain Dew, they will get very irate.

You wish!

No. First there'll be a campaign to demonize soft drinks (one is already underway to demonize beef). First the regular kind, then all of them including diet drinks and even seltzer. There will be a glut on "alternative" soft drinks (there already are many, btw, including flavored water). Then finally a killer tax on them, to raise revenue of course.

But you are right that in the 70's we were going to freeze to death, then it warmed up so they said we were going to burn up, that didn't happen in ten years so now they are blaming man for any atmospheric change.

Back in 1991, you may recall, an instant melting of the icecaps was profesized, should US bombs damage or destroy the well heads in Kuwait and Iraq. As it ahppened Saddam himslef ordered the Kuwaiti wells torched. The next rpediction was that it would take years to extinguish all the fires. It took a little over three months if memory serves. Oh, and the icecaps didn't melt, but only beacsue a volcano erupted in the Philipines, which shielded su from sunlight (no mention of how much CO2 Mt. Pinatubo put in the atmosphere, of course).

So yes, they can take advantage of anything, no matter how ridiculous their claims. Hell, they even claimed pollution was to blame for the big Tsunami of a few years ago, even though tsunamis are geological events.

And here we come to the crux of the problem: Do Fat People Cause Global Warming? And they even have a picture of a fat guy with Coca-Cola in the picture! While it doesn't mention outgassing, it certainly mentions all the extra carbon output that is generated by having to move around someone who is obese. In other words, they are going to try to control every aspect of your existence depending upon how much carbon you are going to release into the atmosphere, and if you are overweight, then you will be controlled more accordingly. Next thing you know, there will be weight limits for car drivers and taxes upon you for each extra pound!

And here we come to the crux of the problem: Do Fat People Cause Global Warming? And they even have a picture of a fat guy with Coca-Cola in the picture! While it doesn't mention outgassing, it certainly mentions all the extra carbon output that is generated by having to move around someone who is obese. In other words, they are going to try to control every aspect of your existence depending upon how much carbon you are going to release into the atmosphere, and if you are overweight, then you will be controlled more accordingly. Next thing you know, there will be weight limits for car drivers and taxes upon you for each extra pound!

Oh no, I'm doomed! Based on my height and weight, I'd be considered "obese" on the BMI scale! And you know the government would use some stupid form like that to make the decisions. Never mind that I'm a strength athlete not a tub of lard...

BTW, just in case anyone ever thought BMI was actually useful, I did score obese on the BMI (which is an equation) but an electronic body fat reader, which sends a current through you to determine resistance, put me at the high end of "regular". Not even "overweight", just "regular". BMI is stupid.