Objectivism Online Forum

Congressmen want to change football championship

Rate this topic

Four GOP congressmen and one and two Democrats are sponsoring a house resolution to resolve that...

... the House of Representatives--

(1) rejects the BCS system as an illegal restraint of trade that violates the Sherman Anti-Trust Act;

(2) demands the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division investigate and bring appropriate action to have the BCS system declared illegal and require a playoff to determine a national champion; and

(3) supports the establishment of an NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Championship playoff system in the interest of fairness and to bring parity to all NCAA teams.

Right now, they've been holding hearings (these go on every few years, wasting everyone's time and money) on the subject. What a sad state this is that we elect fools like this to govern us. Clearly the GOP has no clue what freedom is about.

As much as I hate the BCS, I remember laughing when I heard this. Is this really what our country has come to? I may not agree with most of what Congress does, but I can at least understand their justifications behind the policies I disagree with. But I am seriously having trouble comprehending the argument here.

Did the NFL accept some bailout money I'm not aware of?

Holy crappers... If the government of Canada decided it was going to tell the NHL how to conduct the Stanley Cup playoffs there would be an armed revolt...

Unfortunately that's probably the only thing that would spur such action. :blink:

Edited by Zip

This is college football. They've been profitable for decades.

LOL, so it isn't even professional football? Wow, and I thought Canadian politicians were screwed up... not saying they're not, just... wow.

I'm a huge NCAA football fan, and also a supporter of the BCS (even the first version). The topic of BCS versus playoff system has been going on every year for a few years now, and when politicians started promoting federal government action, many of the college football fans I know, who support a playoff system, started praising those politicians and future government interference. All of these fans were GOP members or registered Republicans, and mostly staunchly anti-Democrat. Since the election of President Obama, who also publicly supported interference by the federal government, many of these fans have toned down their support for the interference. I don't necessarily think Obama's opinions on the subject made much of a difference in toning down these playoff supporters, some reluctantly agreed with Obama at the time. Instead I think all of the recent focus on government spending, waste and proper role has helped change the opinions of those who initially backed the federal interference. Now, whenever I bring up the ridiculousness of federal involvement in the topic, those who used to support the idea reluctantly agree with me. This "the government shouldn't be doing that" thing is becoming so pop culture; then again, so is government spending and intervention :thumbsup:.

Where congress is going to derive its power from is the money spent on public education, which they will say gives them the justification to make the new regulations and changes; and there's still going to be quite a bit of support not just from playoff supporters in general but probably particularly from fans of small (non-BCS) teams.

Of course this is not limited to NCAA football or even sports. As recently as the NCAA basketball, playoff selection, a major sports commentator, upset that not enough "non-BCS" teams were not selected, called for congressional oversight. Whenever someone is upset about something, calling for government involvement is just a knee jerk reaction.

This made me so mad when I first heard it. In fact my wife, and everyone else I've talk to about it, just considers it to be a big joke. Do these people honestly think this sort of thing is going to get them votes? All it does is piss people off because *everyone* sees this as yet another waste of our money and even more government intervention.

Not only that, but we need Republicans more than ever now. Why the hell are they wasting their (our) time with this crap? What ever happened to Republicans being the party of small government?