Objectivism Online Forum

Sci-fi/fantasy Reading Recommendations

Rate this topic

jfortun

George Martin's books are similar to Tolkiens - they're somewhat epic, only the way he tells the story is much more interesting to me than how Tolkien did it. Maybe the fact that I read Tolkien in Croatian and that I'm reading Martin in original english has something to do with it. I like Martin's style better.

Tolkien is all about the language! I think translating that book and keeping Tolkien's intentions in tact would be impossible. You must re-read it in English.

You still may not like it as Tolkien holds on to some faulty premises but it is still worth reading in its original tongue.

I wouldn't go that far. The basic plot outline is pretty much the same.

The movie version of Starship Troopers is a study in how to take scenes and dialog from a novel and warp them into a total inversion of the theme of the original work. I like to contrast it with the film version of Dumas' The Man In The Iron Mask, which has basically *no* scenes or dialog that match up with the book yet nevertheless expresses the theme and sense of life of the original fairly well.

I also have to second the dis-recommendation of L. Neil Smith's work. It's extremely didactic, red meat thrown to the hard-core libertarian fringe. Although if you thought his stand-alone work was bad, check out the two novels he co-wrote with Aaron Zelman of JPFO. Hope in particular makes The Probability Broach seem like classic literature. It's like a train wreck -- so horrible you can't look away.

For people who like Heinlein juveniles, here's another couple of novels that might be worth checking out: Alongside Night by J. Neil Schulman, and the recent Red Thunder by John Varley.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Futuristic sci-fi? For example: Uploads, the singularity, nanotech, or relative immortality.

Well, there are the two Vinge novels I mentioned earlier, as well as the John C. Wright "Golden Age" trilogy I push whenever this topic comes up. Walter Jon Williams' Aristoi is a classic, of course. Dan Simmons, Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter and Greg Egan may also be worth investigating.

Baxter and Egan both write naturalistically, though, so be aware. (Egan in particular is a vocal and explicit determinist.) The far-future vistas they present are often breathtaking in scope, but grindingly depressing. The theme of Egan's Diaspora, for example, is the total lack of meaning in the universe. And I often refer to Baxter as the anti-Heinlein, for the way he presents Heinlein-style protagonists who get chewed up and spit out by a universe that just doesn't give a damn.

If you're interested in personality uploads in particular, I recommend Vinge's recent novella "The Cookie Monster". It just won a Hugo, and can be read free on the web at http://www.analogsf.com/0406/cookiemonster.shtml.

Does anyone have any recommendations on Futuristic sci-fi? For example: Uploads, the singularity, nanotech, or relative immortality.

Sure. James L. Halperin's The First Immortal is very good (as is his other novel, The Truth Machine). I think John Varley did some interesting stuff with nanotech, but I can't recall if it was in his Gaean trilogy or if it was in Steel Beach.

I'll second some of the authors that have already been recommended, like Ray Bradbury and Terry Goodkind (I'm in the middle of his Sword of Truth series right now and enjoying it a lot).

I'll also recommend Dan Simmons. He is an excellent writer, though his ideas aren't always that great (but that probably goes for a lot of the other authors in this thread). He's written some straight science-fiction, such as the Hyperion / Endymion series, but I haven't read that so you're on your own there. He's also done some quasi-scifi stuff like The Hollow Man. He has also written everything from fantasy/horror, historical fiction, hard-boiled detective novels, etc. One of my favorites of his is A Winter Haunting. It's kind of a sequel to an earlier, Stephen King-like horror novel (though a very well-written one) called Summer of Night, so you might want to read that first, but A Winter Haunting is a much subtler, psychological kind of ghost story. Great characterization, involving story, beautiful writing. Check it out.

I'm a big Simmons fan.  Hyperion was quite good.  I am anxiously awaiting the follow up to his most recent book, Illium.  A sci-fi story about a recreation of the Trojan War.  Lots of cool things to say about it, but I don't want to spoil anything for others.

I bought Illium but haven't got around to reading it yet. It looks interesting, and it will probably be one of the next things I read once I finish getting caught up on the Sword of Truth series.

I have read all the standards (Orson Scott Card, Tolkien, Herbert, Simmons, Asimov, Anthony) and am looking to branch out.

You mentioned that you've already read "the standards" including Orson Scott Card. I actually don't care much for his "standard" works--the Ender series--but I just thought I'd mention that some of his other stuff, while not as famous, is really good (in fact much better in my opinion) in case you haven't read it. In particular, some of his fantasy stuff is quite good--especially Hart's Hope. I'm not a big fan of fantasy in general, but Hart's Hope is--besides being one of Card's best-written works, in my opinion--a really great story that deals with important themes of mercy versus justice. Card is a Mormon, and that issue has kind of an uneasy position in Mormon doctrine (it was one of the major issues over which I left the Mormon church)--and the way Card addresses it in Hart's Hope is not what you would probably expect from a Christian writer. It is quite thoughtful and even inspiring. Really good book.

• 8 months later...

Nobody mentioning Douglas Adams? His books about The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy are awsome IMO (I am looking forward to see the movie when it reaches Sweden in late July). In the fantasydepartment I would recommend Terry Brooks, not just the Shannara-series but also his books about The Magic Kingdom Of Landover

Didn't see this thread until Sparhawk revived it today.

I'd enthusiastically go along with the recommendation of Heinlein. Everything he wrote is great fun to read, although there's a sharp dropoff in quality starting with The Number of the Beast--.

I also agree with those who said to stay away from L. Neil Smith. Khaight calls his books "red meat thrown to the hard-core libertarian fringe," but I'm a member of that fringe, and I found his stuff downright embarassing to read.

Khaight also mentioned J. Neil Schulman's Alongside Night. That is excellent, but even better is Schulman's The Rainbow Cadenza.

I see alot of people mentioning Orson Scott Card. I recently became aware of him because he is writing the Ultimate Iron Man comic book series and there was some complaints by left-wing readers that he was a conservative. Does his science fiction has any objectivist themes in it, or is he just a good writer?

I see alot of people mentioning Orson Scott Card. I recently became aware of him because he is writing the Ultimate Iron Man comic book series and there was some complaints by left-wing readers that he was a conservative. Does his science fiction has any objectivist themes in it, or is he just a good writer?

I've never noticed anything explicitly Objectivist in Card's work, but one of the themes running through his Alvin Maker series is that the hero is all about creation, while his enemies are bent on destruction.

Card is indeed a conservative--I've seen some opinion pieces he's written--but it surprised me when I learned that. The "feel" of his writing has always seemed vaguely leftish to me.

• 4 months later...
Who is your favourite science fiction author?

Definitely, Asimov and Heinlein - their writing is imaginative, clear, and pro-reason. I'm not that big of a fan of Clark - I just find his writing a bit too convoluted and dry - but maybe I'll try him again. Another thing - I'm pretty sure Clark didn't write 2001-2003 - it was just based on his short story. I think it was written by Kubrick.

Arthur C. Clarke...is there really any competition? The whole 2001 series covers every branch of science that I am intersted in.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Clarke the person credited with the invention of the satelite? Not actually creating one, but the basic idea of them?

Martin H Greenberg. If you've read any Asimov collections, he's in there. In fact, he edited probably one of the best science fiction book/anthology is The Last Man on Earth by Asimov and Greenberg.

Otherwise, I like Asimov for the stories he weaves with all their complexity. Alot of authors would get mired down in all the details. I love Heinlen always for Job:A Comedy of Justice. How can a book be so sacreligious and downright funny at the same time without being pedantic?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have not read much of the stuff from some of these guys, but after my exams I will track some of their stuff down and give it all a try.

If you could suggest any books in particular I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have not read much of the stuff from some of these guys, but after my exams I will track some of their stuff down and give it all a try.

The book I mentioned which is an anthology of short stories. Asimov said the short story he contributed to the book was his best one in his autobiography. The Last Man On Earth is one of my favorites as I mentioned because it provides for some quick reads as well as some incredbly good reads. And you can get it for less than $2.00.

I have read practically all of Asimov's fiction. It is very good. I would recommend Frank Herbert, the Dune series is fantastic (at least the first three books, which is as far as I've read till now). Fred Hoyle has good books as well, "The Black Cloud" deals with an idea that is very interesting from an ethical point of view: a gaseous cloud moves into the solar system, potentially blocking sunlight from the Earth. The cloud is found to be sentient... "Ossian's Ride" is also excelent.

mrocktor

Edited by mrocktor