Objectivism Online Forum

No Atheism on public buses

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A public Indiana bus company recently rejected an atheist bus campaign on the basis that controversial social issues should not be brought up on the sides of buses...But apparently, in the same state, advocating protectionism on buses is just dandy.

This happened at my university (Indiana University, in Bloomington, IN) and I have been unable to fathom how one of the most so-called "progressive" areas of the midwest - an area that has gone so far as to ban smoking in public areas - could justify man-hating god freaks advertising on buses, while a bunch of intelligent, college-attending kids couldn't get a reasonably inoffensive advertisement on the same bus line.

It makes me want to stop paying their ridiculous out-of-state tuition fees, funded by a university job which taxes me too much, while being housed in a student slum that I pay too much rent to live in... :dough:

A public Indiana bus company recently rejected an atheist bus campaign on the basis that controversial social issues should not be brought up on the sides of buses...But apparently, in the same state, advocating protectionism on buses is just dandy.

One suggests not buying that which does not exist. The other, if you listen to the news, is advocating buying that which does not exist. Is there possibly a 'truth in advertising' issue here?

That's not what the first linked article says. The article reports, "The ad was rejected by Bloomington Public Transportation Corporation because, as its policy reads, “Statements of position in support of or in opposition to controversial public issues shall not be accepted.”"

If the linked article is complete, then the policy concerns what advertising will be accepted by the Bloomington Public Transportation Corporation. Not what individuals may place on their own privately owned buses.

I would probably approve of such policy. I don't want tax dollars to support a system where anyone can pay a small sum and put whatever hugely offensive message they wish on a vehicle which is impervious to boycott or other effects of the market.