Objectivism Online Forum

Eve Online

Rate this topic

Adjutor

Does anybody else play this? I think that aside from being fun and visually pretty, it is the only MMORPG that gives the player nearly complete control of everything that happens (provided they have the motivation to do it). It would take a very long essay to really get into what this game is all about, but an abbreviated description would be a space-based MMORPG that allows you to do whatever you want, become whoever you want, and allows the players to be the primary contributor of game content. Most games are artificially populated with story-lines and the developers inject items and money to be traded. This game does have a fictional story-line, but it is heavily contributed to by players and the developers shape some things around what players have done historically throughout the game. The economics are the closest thing you will ever see to laissez-faire capitalism in the near future (both in the virtual and the real world). Players are responsible for the markets, they set the prices and create the goods. It is such an interesting economy that a university economist has been studying it and is employed by the developers to issue quarterly economic reports. Check it out.

I played it for a short time right when it first came out. My problem was that I wasn't interested in "working" (mining) all the time in a game. I needed a little more action. The game may have changed since I played it though.

I played it for a short time right when it first came out. My problem was that I wasn't interested in "working" (mining) all the time in a game. I needed a little more action. The game may have changed since I played it though.

That is a common mistake. People assume they have to mine in order to make money - not the case. There are a lot of options available. I hate the industry side of it. We call them "care bears". I myself am a pirate, and all I do is engage targets on a regular basis. There is unimaginable freedom to engage in player vs player combat (group or solo).

I myself am a pirate, and all I do is engage targets on a regular basis.

I'm assuming you played it from the beginning as well then? As I recall, my ship wasn't anything that was offensively capable of pirating before I did some other industrial work to get the money to make it offensively capable. Whatever other options were available for money were not readily apparent.

Since the first BETA release of Eve online a corporation named Taggart Transdimensional has existed. It was created by supposed Objectivists and is still populated by Oist to this day, although the membership has turned over quite a bit in six years. I'm a member of that corp and I must say it's a pleasure playing with like minded folks, as you can imagine why. Here's a link to Taggart Transdimensional info:

Taggart Transdimensional

I'd offer more detail, but I'm a relatively new member of the corp and game. I'm sure many other corp members frequent this forum and will be posting replies, so I'll allow the more seasoned pros to post information. Fly safe!

Edited by chev

I was into this game for a bit, but I gave it up. I really don't like the time it takes to train for certain upgrades. Even after training your learning upgrades. It still takes a considerable amount of time. For instance some upgrades take weeks and sometimes as long as a month to train. It wouldn't be so bad, but it makes it not worth paying the subscription fee if I can't even use the ship or piece of gear I want for another month. Most other mmorpgs you have some control over this. You get what you put in. If you quest or level all day you actually get somewhere. With EVE it's set in stone amount of time you must wait. I think I made the mistake of choosing the mining path in the beginning. I assumed I could mine make alot of money and switch over to pirating, but I didn't realize the amount of training time it would take. I eventually gave it up for WOW.

I was into this game for a bit, but I gave it up. I really don't like the time it takes to train for certain upgrades. Even after training your learning upgrades. It still takes a considerable amount of time. For instance some upgrades take weeks and sometimes as long as a month to train. It wouldn't be so bad, but it makes it not worth paying the subscription fee if I can't even use the ship or piece of gear I want for another month. Most other mmorpgs you have some control over this. You get what you put in. If you quest or level all day you actually get somewhere. With EVE it's set in stone amount of time you must wait. I think I made the mistake of choosing the mining path in the beginning. I assumed I could mine make alot of money and switch over to pirating, but I didn't realize the amount of training time it would take. I eventually gave it up for WOW.

it definitely is not a game for people who want a quick thrill. It takes a long time to get to that place where you can fly multiple ships competently. Fortunately they recently upgraded it so that there is a skill queue, allowing you to link up a number of skills one after another provided they fit in a 24 hour period of time. This way you don't have to log in at 3:30 AM to change a skill to maximize time.

Since the first BETA release of Eve online a corporation named Taggart Transdimensional has existed. It was created by supposed Objectivists and is still populated by Oist to this day, although the membership has turned over quite a bit in six years. I'm a member of that corp and I must say it's a pleasure playing with like minded folks, as you can imagine why. Here's a link to Taggart Transdimensional info:

Taggart Transdimensional

I'd offer more detail, but I'm a relatively new member of the corp and game. I'm sure many other corp members frequent this forum and will be posting replies, so I'll allow the more seasoned pros to post information. Fly safe!

I second that as an ex-CEO of TTI in EVE Online. Look for the channel TAGGART, we'd give you a good exercise for the brain - in order to get membership, you'll have to write a bit of an essay. :) That's how we filter the good from the bad in EVE.

I'm taking a bit of a break from it now, but I'm a big fan of this game. I've been playing since 2005 and I keep coming back to it. There's always something new to figure out, something new to work towards, and the teamwork required for certain things can be truly intense.

Starting out in the game can be a horrible chore, but once you get into the swing of things, it's totally worth it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/233501..._6003c39c4c.jpg

This picture says it all.

That is a common mistake. People assume they have to mine in order to make money - not the case. There are a lot of options available. I hate the industry side of it. We call them "care bears". I myself am a pirate, and all I do is engage targets on a regular basis. There is unimaginable freedom to engage in player vs player combat (group or solo).

So you're one of those people that use force to violate other's property rights. :P

• 3 months later...

I play, although I'm currently on hiatus.

I was with Taggart Transdimensional and was throughly disappointed with the organization. Not that they're bad guys, its just wasn't worth the time to sit in a billionaires club and never embark on significant joint ventures or mutually beneficial trades.

As soon as i am re-employed i plan on reactivating my account. It was a good deal of fun. Complex and challenging. TONS of control. The graphics are simply amazing too. From what i understand, it is run centrally on a supercomputer.

Mining was mind numbing to start out with, but once you get a bigger ship and some drones its not quite the PITA.

I play, although I'm currently on hiatus.

I was with Taggart Transdimensional and was throughly disappointed with the organization. Not that they're bad guys, its just wasn't worth the time to sit in a billionaires club and never embark on significant joint ventures or mutually beneficial trades.

When were you in Taggart?