Objectivism Online Forum

The Iranian Opposition

Rate this topic

There's a great interview with John Lewis today on PJTV about the Iranian election.

Watching this interview prompted me to relate the Iranian situation to America's new Tea Party movement. There may be elements of good intentions but for the most part their purpose is ill-defined. For either to be of any consequence they need to define their opposition on some fundamental level. Obviously Iran is much more unlikely to do that, unfortunately.

Already posted. I think Dr. Lewis is off in his assessment. Fundamental change may indeed be happening. "Death to the dictators" is one of hell a powerful statement.

Also, top Revolutionary Guard officer arrested after refusing to follow through on actions commanded by the Ayatollah.

A leading cleric has declared the death penalty against the protesters.

"Khatami, a member of the Assembly of Experts, said the judiciary should charge the leading "rioters" as being "mohareb" or one who wages war against God.

"They should be punished ruthlessly and savagely," he said. Under Iran's Islamic law, punishment for people convicted as mohareb is execution."

So, the revolution is on to the bitter end -- it's either overthrow the ruling council or be killed. I hope the protesters are prepared to overthrow their government.

• 1 year later...