Objectivism Online Forum

So I did not like the godfather

Rate this topic

Just watched the first 5/23 sections in Godfather and didn't like it much. Maybe people like it because it portrays evil as good, and they secretly love evil people. Personally, I did not find a cut up horses head entartaining.

Just watched the first 5/23 sections in Godfather and didn't like it much. Maybe people like it because it portrays evil as good, and they secretly love evil people. Personally, I did not find a cut up horses head entartaining.

Yep, horses getting their heads cut off is pretty bad. You know what else I don't understand: that awful woman thinking children dying in a tunnel, on a train is gonna be entertaining. Or that other Russian no talent starting out his big novel with two people getting murdered, saying: oh, look at me idolizing evil, I'm a big bad Russian novelist. And yet, you're on a site dedicated to her, and you probably love Fyodor to death too. Outrage I tell ya'.

I guess you're just gonna have to watch the whole movie if you want to know what it's actually about. I hate to ruin the surprise, but it turns out it's definitely not about how evil is good. Unless you know what this is famous for, you don't know what the Godfather trilogy is about:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4d6wvjlt2Yc/RiPdXRkS...aQ/CIMG1695.JPG

I think this idea people have that it might be the greatest movie of all time is not all that unfounded. The first two parts form an exceptional epic no one even came close to matching, since (do not bring up LOTR). Shame about the far-fetched nonsense in part three, it could've been a perfect trilogy, if only they would've left the Vatican out of it.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

I guess you're just gonna have to watch the whole movie if you want to know what it's actually about. I hate to ruin the surprise, but it turns out it's definitely not about how evil is good.

I think this idea people have that it might be the greatest movie of all time is not all that unfounded. The first two parts form an exceptional epic no one even came close to matching, since. Shame about the far-fetched nonsense in part three, it could've been a perfect trilogy, if only they would've left the Vatican out of it.

Agreed. But I have to say for pure action enjoyment I loved part three as well. I am of course refering to the helicopter scene.

Edited by Axiomatic

Unless you know what this is famous for, you don't know what the Godfather trilogy is about:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_4d6wvjlt2Yc/RiPdXRkS...aQ/CIMG1695.JPG

I love the Godfather trilogy even though I don't have clue what the building in the picture is famous for. Would you enlighten us?

John Link

P.S. There seems to be a problem with the link quoted above. Once I got it to work but now I just get a message saying "Not found".

Edited by John Link

I don't even know how to respond to this.

You watched less than 1/4 of one of the greatest movies ever made and came rushing on here to tell us you didn't like it because of the horse's head scene?

Why don't you try watching the whole movie before you announce your brilliant opinion of it to the world?

Edited by Myself

Just stupid and judgmental about something he hasn't even watched. He watched what seems to be a Youtube clip worth of a film that hits the 3 hour mark? And has an equally as long sequel, and a third which I think really ties Michael's actions together quite well at the end.

Lots of people always say they hate mafia films because they portray an evil main character, and glorify his actions. But what happens in almost every movie? Did Tony Montana end up with mountains of cocaine and a mansion, beautiful women and wads of money? What was the end result of Tony's struggles in Scarface? He wound up dead in a pool filled with his blood.

What happened even in the latest true story portrayal of John Dillinger in Public Enemies? I don't think it counts as a spoiler to say the following, he ends up dead. All that life on the fast lane, don't waste a moment or think about tomorrow attitude laying dead on a street.

These people come off as very charming in the movies, and many even idolize them. Why? Because often times, head mafiosos and crimelords ARE charming, ARE likable people.

I suppose I should have stopped reading Atlas once I saw that there was a bum right in the opening line! WHAT KIND OF AUTHOR HAS A BUM IN THEIR NOVEL?

Edited by TheEgoist

I don't even know how to respond to this.

You watched less than 1/4 of one of the greatest movies ever made and came rushing on here to tell us you didn't like it because of the horse's head scene?

Why don't you try watching the whole movie before you announce your brilliant opinion of it to the world?

Well, I didn't JUST dislike the horse head scene. I didn't like the movie in general, like, at all, and didn't have reason to believe there would be a suprise ending. And "the greatest movie ever made" is an opinion. I liked equilibrium better, even based off of less then one fourth of the movie.

Edited by Hazmatac

Well, I didn't JUST dislike the horse head scene. I didn't like the movie in general, like, at all, and didn't have reason to believe there would be a suprise ending. And "the greatest movie ever made" is an opinion. I liked equilibrium better, even based off of less then one fourth of the movie.

Roger Ebert just wrote a blog post that summarizes my position on Hazmatac's "opinion":

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/07/i_am_a_brainiac.html

So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle. Sir, not only do I differ with what you say, but I would certainly not fight to the death for your right to say it. Not me. You have to pick your fights.
Edited by Myself

I love the Godfather trilogy even though I don't have clue what the building in the picture is famous for. Would you enlighten us?

John Link

P.S. There seems to be a problem with the link quoted above. Once I got it to work but now I just get a message saying "Not found".

Oops. It's the theater where the final scene was shot. It's not that recognizable though, it just looks like a regular theater. (I didn't realize the main site, where it says what it is, can't be reached from the link to the picture.) Oh well, my little riddle fell flat.

I was trying to hint at the fact that the final scene in Godfather 3 is about as clear a message that crime never pays, no matter how cunning and sophisticated a criminal one is, as any scene in movie or literary history. It's that scene that made me love Pacino to the point where I'm ready to forgive him for making 88 Minutes and Righteous Kill.

Did Tony Montana end up with mountains of cocaine and a mansion, beautiful women and wads of money?

Now that's a bad movie. :)

Edited by Jake_Ellison

I've only seen The Godfather once and remember thinking that I didn't understand why it was considered one of the greatest movies ever made. Well, I was a stupid college student and, now that my taste has presumably matured somewhat, I have put the whole trilogy on my Netflix queue so I can watch it again and hopefully understand. Regardless of whether I end up changing my opinion, I will withhold my judgement until I've actually watched it all.

Most gangster/mafia movies are hyped to cult status in several languages and cultures all over the world. There is no "art" in this. I have seen several adaptations and direct copies of The Godfather. In several 3rd world countries, mafiosos are given a celeb status by the populace and the media too. The inane and the irrational rules most cinema.