Objectivism Online Forum

WTF? Can't live in my own RV, on my own property?

Rate this topic

Check out this regulation from the Sunnyvale, CA Public Safety site:

Can I live in my recreational vehicle?

No. It is unlawful for anyone to live in a recreational vehicle parked on any public property such as the street, park, alley, public parking lot or any other public way.

The same regulation applies to private property.

WTF?!

Edited by Live forever or die trying

Off the top of my head I'd say it's local government making sure that no growth occurs without their express approval and in manners they'd dictate, as part of the whole set of moral principles underlying zoning regulations. They aren't going to allow either "unplanned growth" (ie they're not seen psychologically by residents as the top-dogs) or "the wrong sort" to move in who'd "lower the tone", which is exactly the impression one gets from reading between the lines of that Q&A.

JJM

Can I live in my recreational vehicle?

No. It is unlawful for anyone to live in a recreational vehicle parked on any public property such as the street, park, alley, public parking lot or any other public way. The same regulation applies to private property. On occasion the City grants permission to property owners who request to have a caretaker on their property on a temporary basis. Guests of city residents are allowed to stay in their recreational vehicle for up to 48 consecutive hours, when parked in close proximity to the resident’s dwelling.

Well, while it certainly isn't the proper function of government to dictate where and how people live, some white trash idiot probably bought an empty lot or parked on some city property and decided to live out of his trashed RV. Probably drained his sewage tank into a storm drain, left broken beer bottles around, had a barking, vicious dog, etc., so some old granny in town said, "there outta be a law..." (Think Randy Quaid's character in Christmas Vacation.) :D

I think that every law that ever began it's journey through the system with some fool, or group of fools saying "There ought to be a law" should be rescinded forthwith. :D

It's a sad reflection that laws like these are enforced, and I mean that from a very pragmatic position.

While the existence of public property is a point of contention, since it does exist (and will exist for the long term future) I'm going to just accept it's rules for the time being in deliberation.

That said, this law likely does need to be required to prevent abuse of public facilities. I hate to sound so elitist, but there needs to be some levels of decency that must be met. Having some squatters abuse the purchases of honest public servants, does invoke the need of one's tax money's purchases to not be treated with disrespect. Yet instead with the full knowledge that property of any sort - should be respected.

It's precisely for this reason that I stopped obeying laws like this. I used to obey laws until I grew up and realized that by obeying this crap, you're just rolling over for them. I now believe in the old saying "if you don't get caught, it's not illegal." (at least that's my attitude when it comes to laws that trample on my rights) Just live in your RV anyway. Maybe no one will report you. If they do, promptly show your local government SS agent your pay stub that lists all the 100's of dollars in taxes you pay to the city. Explain to them that if they try to screw with you that you will quickly move out and they will lose that income. California is so broke right now thanks to the democrats that they might just back down.

I hate to sound so elitist, but there needs to be some levels of decency that must be met. Having some squatters abuse the purchases of honest public servants, does invoke the need of one's tax money's purchases to not be treated with disrespect.

Can you define what it means to abuse public property, objectively? If not, it's gonna be tough coming up with laws that prevent such abuse.

These zoning laws are absurd. In some communities around here, we have people objecting and calling for local government action because they don't like the color of their neighbor's house. Ridiculous.

Edited by gags

• 2 weeks later...
Can you define what it means to abuse public property, objectively? If not, it's gonna be tough coming up with laws that prevent such abuse.

The same rules that apply to private property. The question is only what exceptions are made, this not being one of them.

I have two words for you: Civil Disobedience.

Not likely.

It's precisely for this reason that I stopped obeying laws like this. I used to obey laws until I grew up and realized that by obeying this crap, you're just rolling over for them.

Do you leave your Christmas lights up year round? That'll drive em nuts! :)