Objectivism Online Forum

Blasphemy now a criminal offense in Ireland.

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaki...3/breaking4.htm

Wow, and I always considered Ireland a great country to move to if the U.S ever got unbearable.

Funny thing, this is part of the text of the bill.

"(4) In this section religion does not include an organisation or cult --

(a) the principal object of which is the making of profit, or

(:P that employs oppressive psychological manipulation --

(i) of its followers, or

(ii) for the purpose of gaining new followers."

What religion does that NOT describe?

In Malaysia, a famous model was arrested after the Islamic brownshirts raided a nightclub. She was fined and recently sentenced to be caned. Her offense: she drank beer.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/ap/20090723/tap...er-b3c65ae.html

I've heard similar stories about them. Malaysia is a barbaric place. We can thank multiculturalists for appeasing those cultures.

In Malaysia, a famous model was arrested after the Islamic brownshirts raided a nightclub. She was fined and recently sentenced to be caned. Her offense: she drank beer.

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/ap/20090723/tap...er-b3c65ae.html

"I will accept this earthly punishment," the national news agency Bernama quoted her as saying. "I want to advise youngsters to learn from my experience, not to repeat my mistake and cause shame to yourself and family."

Sanction of the victim.

Considering the whole hullaballoo between protestants and catholics and all the bloodbath, I would say they have been a western country IN NAME only. Historically they've behaved more like the middle east.

What bloodshed? Ireland is a peaceful western country, probably the freest in all of Europe (at least economically). This is a symptom of the West, and it could happen in any country, eventually even the US.

What bloodshed? Ireland is a peaceful western country, probably the freest in all of Europe (at least economically). This is a symptom of the West, and it could happen in any country, eventually even the US.

You've got to be kidding.

However, I wouldn't be so hasty as to compare Irish paramilitarism and the IRA to the problems in the Middle East, espeically since the de facto armistice from the IRA.

Wrong wiki (well, wrong country, for the most part). The anti-blasphemy Law was passed in the Republic of Ireland, an independent, peaceful country established in 1937. It's quite a fun place from what I heard, it's a shame they saw fit to pass this law. (but you know this Ryan, you said so in the OP)

Here's what wikipedia has on them:

Ireland is ranked as the 32nd economic power in the world[citation needed] , Ireland today has the sixth highest gross domestic product per capita and the eighth highest per capita considering purchasing power parity,[11][12] and has the fifth highest Human Development Index rank in the world. The country also boasts the highest quality of life in the world, ranking first in the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Quality-of-life index. Ireland was ranked sixth on the Global Peace Index. Ireland also has high rankings for its education system, political freedom and civil rights, press freedom and economic freedom; it was also ranked fourth from the bottom on the Failed States Index, being one of the most "Sustainable" states in the world.

There are no bloodbaths, or "hullaballoo between protestants and catholics", in fact there are no Protestants. It's all Catholic.

Northern Ireland is British territory, not a sovereign country, and it had a lot of violence unil about ten years ago, but they don't have any anti-blasphemy laws, so I'm assuming they're not the subject of the thread. It's silly to confuse them with the Rep. of Ireland, just to then support another comparison, this time with a region that contains some awful countries, far worse for human freedom and life than even Belfast was at the height of the civil war.

Edited by Jake_Ellison