Objectivism Online Forum

looking for a good WWI book

Rate this topic

The Wrath

I'd like to read a book about the impact of the first world war on human civilization. My impression has always been that, although WWII gets all the attention because it was more apocalyptic, WWI resulted in more fundamental changes in how human society operates. I'm not so much interested in a book about the events of the war itself. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

• 2 months later...
My impression has always been that, although WWII gets all the attention because it was more apocalyptic, WWI resulted in more fundamental changes in how human society operates.
I don't think the war itself resulted in fundamental changes. However, it is true that the late 1800's and the early 1900 were the last-but-one turning point in modern history. It was the end of empires and the coming of democracy and self-determination.

I would recommend the first few chapters of Paul Johnson's "Modern Times".

Added: The book cannot be the primary reading, because it is post WW-I, but the early chapters have some background. Not sure if Paul Johnson has a book that covers the 1800's. If so, I would recommend him in general.

Edited by softwareNerd

I'd like to read a book about the impact of the first world war on human civilization. My impression has always been that, although WWII gets all the attention because it was more apocalyptic, WWI resulted in more fundamental changes in how human society operates. I'm not so much interested in a book about the events of the war itself. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

As a history junkie may I suggest this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-World-War/dp/0688001297

It's my favorite one book history of the Great War. The author's other "Short History" books are also very good, but don't let the word short imply the books are.