Objectivism Online Forum

Coffee

Rate this topic

I had heard of "sun tea" were teabags are put in a pitcher of water and then the pitcher placed in the sun for an afternoon, but not of a similar method for coffee. I looked up "cold brewed coffee" and found a Wikipedia article on it, which says 12 hours is a typical brew time. 12 hours is too damn long to wait in the age of Keurigs.

If addiction is simply "physically and mentally dependent on something with adverse eclffects when giving it up," then I don't see the problem with addiction as such if there are no measurement requirements. Sometimes I forget to have my cup of coffee and the worst that happens is a short headache. Sometimes there is no effect. Some people get to sleep just fine only an hour or two after drinking coffee, etc. Long term, there is no evidence of negative effects from consuming coffee.

I also watch TV, but not constantly. I don't watch when I want, and the "negative effect" is using my time doing something else.

I think your article may have been better if you didn't call those things "addictions."

If addiction is simply "physically and mentally dependent on something with adverse eclffects when giving it up," then I don't see the problem with addiction as such if there are no measurement requirements. Sometimes I forget to have my cup of coffee and the worst that happens is a short headache. Sometimes there is no effect. Some people get to sleep just fine only an hour or two after drinking coffee, etc. Long term, there is no evidence of negative effects from consuming coffee.

It seems people different here as well. I remember when I was younger and my dad came home from work, and he always complained about headaches if he didn't get his coffee. He's always had a couple of cups per day. Others say the can't get any sleep if they have coffee late in the evening. Me, I drink ALOT of coffee. Strong coffee. I've never suffered any withdrawal symptoms and I sleep like a baby.

From what i've read research seems to show that moderate amounts of coffee are actually healthy. Moderate in this case a believe is something like 1-5 cups per day, but i'm sure you can find more accurate information if you google it.

• 2 months later...

I think that now your require several cups a day to stay well for the reasons outlined in my article, described fully in the reference How Stuff Works article. The fact that you may sleep like a baby while consuming a lot of coffee may mean that reacts to coffee and induced adrenaline better than an average person, however, the essence of the biological process described still happens. Or would you say that as a result of coffee your pupils don't dilate, blood veins are not shrinking and adrenaline is not released ? I doubt that, but I am sure that there can be an easily administered and conclusive test that you can do, after you drink coffee. For pupils, just look at the mirror. For blood veins, maybe measure the blood pressure. I'm not a medic, just thinking logically.

• 3 years later...

I'm glad recent debate on coffee and its potential health risks has now transformed into a discussion that mostly suggests coffee has various health benefits.

Heart and brain health for one. Also wards off dimentia and other forms of cognitive impairment.

Coffee consumption also leads to lower mortality rate. Moderation is key.

No more than 3 reasonable sized servings a day.