Rate this topic

PatriotResistance

• 2 weeks later...
Reworked the famous Obama Hope poster.

Ayn Rand Reason Poster

I think it turned out well.

Bob

Patriot Resistance

I'm sorry... but I hate that it is a rip off of his poster. Rand is fully and completely deserving of a unique image and a unique representation.

In my opinion the response when one looks at it, deep back in the mind will always be... "Oh, its a rip off of Obama's poster." clever as it is I don't think it does the lady or her ideas justice.

I'm sorry... but I hate that it is a rip off of his poster. Rand is fully and completely deserving of a unique image and a unique representation.

In my opinion the response when one looks at it, deep back in the mind will always be... "Oh, its a rip off of Obama's poster." clever as it is I don't think it does the lady or her ideas justice.

I agree that it definitely does not do Ayn Rand or Objectivism justice. It is only a counterpoint to the Obama message. Hopefully, non-Objectivists will be drawn to learn more after seeing it.

I respect your opinion. My Dollar Sign design, I think, does more justice to Objectivism.

While I don't think it does full justice to Ms. Rand (really what could?) that doesn't bother me.

Turnabout being fair play has a long history in political images, satire, and the like.

Also a fun take that the guy who originally made the Obama poster stole the image from someone else and now the image is being stolen from him to work as a weapon against his own propaganda.

I don't love it, but I like it.

My fear would tend to be that the Obama image is so iconic now that from afar most would mistake it for that image not bothering to look closer. Myself for example.. I see that color pattern and I automatically assume I know what it is and tune it out and look at something else. I would say that most Objectivists may have that same tendency and that would be the image's biggest flaw- conditioned negative response to the pattern that forms the image in the clientelle you a seeking to sell your product to.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but one can sell her image without permission? I'm still confused where copyrights lie on this matter.

It's a very valid question, and unfortunately not a simple one.

My simple reply is that I believe my use falls under "fair-use". Fair-use is judged by four different criterion, 1) purpose 2) amount of original used 3) nature and 4) effect. I believe my image is transformative and does not supersede the original, and that it's effect has no harm on the original, and so falls under fair-use. That is of course, my opinion.

Here is Wikipedia's Fair-Use article

Fair Use FAQ

Even the Barack Obama design remains under dispute:

AP alleges infringement

Intellectual Property Litigator

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a little bit of satori (sudden inspiration) and wondered about the marriage of these two symbols.

The Yin/Yang has a generically positive association with the general public, while the dollar sign - as Objectivists know - is too often associated with plain greed.

I like the idea of the dollar sign representing a "balance" between rights and freedom in the free-market.

(Click to see this design on products in my zazzle store)

objectivist_yin_yang_poster-p228671201123524097td87_210.jpg

So I had a little bit of satori (sudden inspiration) and wondered about the marriage of these two symbols.

The Yin/Yang has a generically positive association with the general public, while the dollar sign - as Objectivists know - is too often associated with plain greed.

I like the idea of the dollar sign representing a "balance" between rights and freedom in the free-market.

(Click to see this design on products in my zazzle store)

objectivist_yin_yang_poster-p228671201123524097td87_210.jpg

I don't care for the Yin/Yang. It seems to me that it symbolizes pragmatism and compromise.

No way, the taijitu or yin and yang symbol represents Taoism. I don't want that anywhere near something supposing to represent reason.

I like the Nick Gaetano cover of Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal that depicts a man hoisting a gear to the heavens in triumph. Try something with along those lines I might be more insterested.

No way, the taijitu or yin and yang symbol represents Taoism. I don't want that anywhere near something supposing to represent reason.

I like the Nick Gaetano cover of Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal that depicts a man hoisting a gear to the heavens in triumph. Try something with along those lines I might be more insterested.

Well, I was only trying to relate the "balance" idea of the Y/Y symbol with rights and reason. But your point is well taken. And nothing is going to appeal to everyone, indeed many would argue against any "symbol" or branding at all, and I respect that.

Thank you for the suggestion.

(And after thinking about it I even changed my avatar back to my dollar sign spelled out with Objectivist ideas.)

Objectivist dollar sign