Objectivism Online Forum

Buffalo, NY.

Rate this topic

I just moved to the Buffalo area for Uni. I'm aware of only one other Objectivist in the area, and we talk a bit. I'm soon going to be posting flyers up around the University At Buffalo North Campus for those interested in Ayn Rand, laissez-faire capitalism and individualism in general. If you are from Buffalo, or around the much larger metro area/Niagara Falls, feel free to post on here and/or message me. I figure if there are just something like 5 of us, it's enough.

My home town is a couple hours west, near Erie, PA, so if you happen to hold a meetup on a weekend when I happen to be visiting the parents, maybe I'll make a trip out your way. Or, if I make the ubiquitous trip out to Niagara Falls again, I'll stop by.

I can however assist you in forming a group, as I've helped form several around Ohio. I would start by creating a group page on Facebook, and then create an ad targeted to people interested in Ayn Rand. Once you get enough people to join that, you can pick a place/time and invite people to come. You could also attend some of the Atheist / Skeptic / Glenn Beck 9/12 groups in your area, and advertise your group there. There's usually a few people in each of those groups who are actually interested in ideas, and don't simply hold arbitrary views on specific topics.

Edited by brian0918

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, guys!

Brian, next week I'm going to pass out flyers at the philosophy club and then at the poli-sci club. I know that Buffalo has some kind of 9/12 project thing, but I don't know if I want the people that that kind of group attracts. I am also mainly looking for younger people, so I think I will stick with the college campuses (There are several in Buffalo, I may do work at others). The Facebook group may come after I find out at least a few people have interest.

K-Mac, I may start up an actual campus club if there is a significant interest. University At Buffalo has nearly 30000 students, so if just 30 were interested that would be amazing :dough:. However, as of right now I am trying to keep it based on the community rather than on a specific college campus, so I can perhaps advertise elsewhere as Brian suggested.

• 4 years later...

i found this site doing a search for "Buffalo Objectivists" and landing here. so if anyone else ever wanders through, there is a Rochester Objectivist group that meets at RIT weekly (mostly non-students), and at least 2 or 3 of us live closer to Buffalo and would definitely be up for starting one here.

• 1 year later...