Objectivism Online Forum

Michael Savage Removed From Radio

Rate this topic

Source: http://talk910.com/pages/blog.html?feed=33...article=5988487

Dr. Michael Savage launched his radio career on radio station WKNEW 910 AM in San Francisco, California 15 years ago. This was his flagship radio station where he held the top spot. Today he was removed from this radio station because of his views and opinions -- namely for calling Obama a Marxist and comparing Obama and the Democrats to Nazis.

Michael Savage has been banned in Great Britian for criticizing the British Labor Party and how they have ruined Great Britian. Now he is being banned from American airwaves.

Wasn't he at 2nd or 3rd highest ratings in the country? He'll get another station, surely.

Not in ol' Frisco he's not. (the ratings of his home station in SF just happen to be publicly available (as they always have been for all radio stations), and they are very very very poor. Not second or third, but 28th, consistently)

That also makes me doubt he's doing well elsewhere, at least in major markets.

Dr. Michael Savage launched his radio career on radio station WKNEW 910 AM in San Francisco, California 15 years ago. This was his flagship radio station where he held the top spot. Today he was removed from this radio station because of his views and opinions -- namely for calling Obama a Marxist and comparing Obama and the Democrats to Nazis.

Michael Savage has been banned in Great Britian for criticizing the British Labor Party and how they have ruined Great Britian. Now he is being banned from American airwaves.

Is that what's going on? Really?

According to the official Arbitron ratings of the "flagship" station you linked to 910 W-NEW San Francisco were 1.2, 1.1, and another 1.1 share for the past three months. That would be 28th place, in San Francisco. To check it yourself, please go to PPM Data/San Francisco/28th place (http://www.arbitron.com/radio_stations/home.htm) -- there's no way to link to that page directly)

Let's put that into perspective:

1.Howard Stern in the early 90's had around a 15 share, later a consistent 10 to 12 share in New York, which is the most competitive market in the country.

2. A country station has a 3.5 share, in the same period, in San Francisco. That's three times as many people, listening to country music that costs the stations no money to produce or pay the talent for, as opposed to a highly paid Savage with a sizable staff around him.

(classical music has a 3.3 share :) , the all news CBS radio has a 5.2 share, another news talk has a 3.3 share)

3. When Adam Corolla and Opie and Anthony were both fired from mornings, a few months back, they each had about a 4-4.5 share in LA and New York. Boy they must've really called Obama a Marxist, if they outperformed Savage four times and were let go. Or is it the fact that there are no advertisers to be had, and radio stations across the country are firing almost all their highly payed stars, except for the ones who are killing in the ratings? (Limbaugh, Hannity, Glenn Beck)

I'm sorry, but whatever Savage is saying about this has to be a lie, if you guys think he was fired after 15 years for calling someone a commie. The radio station is changing direction not because of political reasons, but because the ratings were abominable. The two guys (whoever they are) that they are putting in there will be able to bore to death San Francisco just as well, but do it for only about 50 thousand/year, instead of the millions Savage must've cost.

A company with a station that actually spends major money on content, to be in 28th place in their market, is courting bankruptcy. I'm amazed they are changing direction, instead of just selling their license, and giving up completely, maybe keeping Savage, but put him to better use as a used car salesman.

By the way, not only has Savage been un-banned from Britain after the person who banned him resigned and admitted to being completely incompetent, he's actually been invited to speak at a conference there.

By the way, not only has Savage been un-banned from Britain after the person who banned him resigned and admitted to being completely incompetent, he's actually been invited to speak at a conference there.

This is true, but the very fact that they banned him the first place was a disgrace.

He has not been taken off of the banned list and he was invited to a video debate. He still can not legally enter the UK.

It was KNEW that was in 29th place in the ratings - not Savage. He has a nationwide audience of appx. 5 million listeners. This is the offical word from KNEW on the change: "Here's your no-spin direct answer; we have decided to go in a different philosophical and ideological direction, featuring more contemporary content and more local information. The Savage Nation does not fit into that vision."

Please get the facts straight.

Edited by Maximus

It was KNEW that was in 29th place in the ratings - not Savage. He has a nationwide audience of appx. 5 million listeners.

Michael Savage was on K-NEW, in San Francisco, for the past three months. That station had ratings of 1.2, 1.1, and 1.1. If his ratings were high, the station couldn't be in 28th place. That is just not how it works. And when a station is in 28th place, that's the reason why they are making changes, it has nothing to do with being victimized because of political ideology.

I provided you with facts. You have not backed up the claim that he has 5 million listeners with numbers. At least tell me which are his main markets, so I can look up his ratings in other markets as well, myself.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

I know for a fact he is on WWTN 99.7 in Nashville. You would have to check with the syndicator for his national audience - the 5 million figure is their estimate. The political climate in San Francisco is decidedly far,far Left - not exactly conducive to a conservative (not Republican) host. He is quite popular in the Nashville market. I listen to him while at work, I find him entertaining and he sometimes makes good points.

You said he had been unbanned and he has not. You also said he has been invited to attend a "conference" (actually a debate) and he has been invited to appear via video link.

Edited by Maximus

He only got dropped from that station in SF. He's still on the other myriad stations across the country and he still has an AM station in SF anyway.

Agreed.

Seldom hear Savage myself, but it looks like some information is stating that he's syndicated on 350 US stations with a listener base of 8 - 10 million. Places him as third radio talk show in the US.

I thought that the SF station was the one that syndicated him. They don't, so this is really kind of a simple decision to eliminate non statist talk radio program by a private company in a collective community like San Francisco.

Savage is as anti-intellectual as they come, but damn, he's been that for 15 years. Calling Obama and the Dems Nazis is low, but he's been doing such crass and ridiculous stuff as that for years

He's pretty bad, but I suspect the reason they are unhappy with him has more to do with the fact he's close to the mark.

Savage is as anti-intellectual as they come...

Right after September 11, 2001 Dr. Savage said this on his radio show:

"We have a man I agree with thoroughly... We have a man I agree with totally which is why I invited him on the show. I don't ever invite anyone on the show unless I agree with him. It's pointless. His name is Dr. Leonard Peikoff. He's the founder of the Ayn Rand Institute..."

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9sdQcwmdCs

Would the constitutional lawyer Obama be considered an intellectual? How about US President Wilson?

For me, being an intellectual or not makes no difference. However, if one lies, spreads falsehoods, or works against individual rights, well, I have no value for that person.

Who are "they"? And what are you basing your suspicions on?

Glenn Beck has been doing stories on the FCC lately. Obama is attempting to gain power over the airwaves. Van Jones was given the job of "diversity czar", clearly with the idea of eliminating any opposition to Obama on the airwaves. The FCC wields quite a bit of power over radio stations. So, this is my reason for being suspicious.

Glenn Beck has been doing stories on the FCC lately. Obama is attempting to gain power over the airwaves. Van Jones was given the job of "diversity czar", clearly with the idea of eliminating any opposition to Obama on the airwaves. The FCC wields quite a bit of power over radio stations. So, this is my reason for being suspicious.

So you are saying that the poor ratings I linked to had nothing to do with his firing, it was pressure from the FCC? Do you have any evidence?

Van Jones was given the job of "diversity czar", clearly with the idea of eliminating any opposition to Obama on the airwaves.

I thought the self-proclaimed Communist Van Jones was appointed as the "Green Jobs" Czar. Mark Lloyd is the new FCC "Chief Diversity Officer" and just the fact that such a person exists makes me suspicious of this Administration's motives. I doubt he had anything to do with Savage leaving his 'Frisco station, but radio station owners are not living in a vacuum. They can feel the way the regulatory winds are blowing and it wouldn't surprise me if some weaker stations were to change formats, just to avoid the possibility of confrontation with the regulators.