Objectivism Online Forum

"Ayn Rand Philosophy Falls Short"

Rate this topic

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/asset/ayn...5B-E08822118206 (might have to use IE, Firefox having problems?)

He never explains what he means by corporations having a "selfless culture", and then seems to contradict himself later and appear to agree with Rand entirely. This really made no sense to me... The interviewer is clueless - the ease with which he says, "it's very nuanced and there's no clear answer" was pretty funny.

Original blog post, also with the same video embedded: http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2009/10/06/mean...-goldman-sachs/

Edited by brian0918

He never explains what he means by corporations having a "selfless culture", and then seems to contradict himself later and appear to agree with Rand entirely. This really made no sense to me... The interviewer is clueless - the ease with which he says, "it's very nuanced and there's no clear answer" was pretty funny.

I would hazard the following guess: his expectations of what life at Goldman would be like were not met and perhaps a well-paying job did not offer him the self-satisfaction he thought it would. Corporations, viewed as a large machine, often restrict expression (via dress codes, protocols, standardized equipment, etc...) to achieve the larger (selfish) goal of profiting the company. If you are prepared for corporate culture the transition is no big deal, if you don't like it you are free to do something else!

Again, just a guess at his meaning :/

Edit: The "interviewer" is the one who seems to be doing the proselytizing!

Edited by woolcutt

If you are prepared for corporate culture the transition is no big deal, if you don't like it you are free to do something else!

Again, just a guess at his meaning :/

Edit: The "interviewer" is the one who seems to be doing the proselytizing!

Sure you'd be free to go somewhere else, but a corporation can still operate in a selfless manner ("it's not about what you want, it's what the company wants!"). I would leave such a company precisely because of a collectivist nature of the people in the company. Of course, this guy didn't even elaborate on how Goldman Sachs had a selfless culture.