Objectivism Online Forum

Gobbledygook

Rate this topic

Maximus

On another forum some Hemeticists are exploring the nature of being. One came up with this:

Creation is similar, in that non-being, forging being, is forged through being. Mankind is the bridge by which G-d crosses to Himself... G-d is united through the tunnel of man.... G-d shakes His own hand in the human heart.... I'm not sure how else to say it.... But when these words make sense, you will have had a Gnostic moment.

WTF? This dosen't mean anything! That's what I told him, it dosen't mean a thing. Mental masturbation.

Thought you guys might like a good laugh reading that. :D

Creation is similar, in that non-being, forging being, is forged through being. Mankind is the bridge by which G-d crosses to Himself... G-d is united through the tunnel of man.... G-d shakes His own hand in the human heart.... I'm not sure how else to say it.... But when these words make sense, you will have had a Gnostic moment.

Good Lord... If only Jacques Derrida were still alive… he would be proud!

Reminds me of this quote by Heidegger:

"May world in its worlding be the nearest of all nearing that nears, as it brings the truth of Being near to man’s essence, and so gives man to belong to the disclosing bringing-to-pass that is a bringing into its own."

I'm reminded of Keating in TF where he thinks something isn't high if one can reach it, and is not profound if one can see its bottom.

That's one of my favorite parts of The Fountainhead, because it's such a clear identification of a mentality I've seen far too often.

"A thing is not high if one can reach it; it is not great if one can reason about it; it is not deep if one can see its bottom" - this had always been his credo, unstated and unquestioned. This spared him any attempt to reach, reason or see; and it cast a nice reflection of scorn on those who made the attempt. So he was able to enjoy the work of Lois Cook. He felt uplifted by the knowledge of his own capacity to respond to the abstract, the profound, the ideal. Toohey had said: "That's just it, sound as sound, the poetry of words as words, style as a revolt against style. But only the finest spirit can appreciate it, Peter." Keating thought he could talk of this book to his friends, and if they did not understand he would know that he was superior to them. He would not need to explain that superiority - that's just it, "superiority as superiority" - automatically denied to those who asked for explanations. He loved the book.