Objectivism Online Forum

Axle's Street Kickers

Rate this topic

ChrlBrooks

6175_587696175387_39603358_34794618_3971133_n.jpg

Axle's Street Kickers

I started making shoe art in August 09, I had taken an early introduction into Objectivism from reading Terry Goodkind's Faith of the Fallen a year ago. (Great book, I recommend it to any striving artist.) I created these shoes because I love to create and I esteem of becoming a painter. As of now I create shoe art to help me reach that goal. This is my highest respect for value, because when I wear them and the same for others I am proud.

Enjoy.

6175_587696185367_39603358_34794620_2572286_n.jpg

6175_587696180377_39603358_34794619_8296640_n.jpg

I would love to commission a pair at some point,

Same with me.

Does it matter what size? From children to adult sizes? I think it'd be cool to have a pair literarily oriented, with quotes, and a pic of the author on the tongue, that'd be grand! Walking in their footsteps, in their shoes, yeah! That'll work. I'd have one shoe of Plath and one shoe of Dickinson, with a quote or two from the journals of the former, and a stanza or two from the later. I could display them in my car, which has many literary oriented stickers on it, like my newest addition on the front plate and ground effects : Sylvia Plath Effect. Female poets drive me fucking crazy!

(nice baphomet by the way! I have one of those on my vehicle too! :dough:)

Edited by intellectualammo

Very cool! I might commission a pair depending upon the quality of the actual shoe.

I'm a businessman not an artist, but from a business perspective I would say: 1) you'll never make a million off of this type of thing, but could certainly supplement your income, and 2) your price point is way too low -- good custom must demand a much higher price -- don't sell yourself short if you ever try to really market your service.

Very cool! I might commission a pair depending upon the quality of the actual shoe.

I'm a businessman not an artist, but from a business perspective I would say: 1) you'll never make a million off of this type of thing, but could certainly supplement your income, and 2) your price point is way too low -- good custom must demand a much higher price -- don't sell yourself short if you ever try to really market your service.

Thanks Wynnbrando! You express a good point. I don't know business, which is my first mistake, but I'm willing to learn, and correct it as I proceed. This is why I call them shoe art rather than shoe design. I intend to someday have enough shoes for a personal gallery show and move on to another project. The price is low I agree with you, which is for a limited time.

Ha, nice, Dinosaur Comics! You should send that photo to Ryan North ([email protected]) - he might post it on his page and get you a lot of business. You should set up a webpage first though, even just on a blog site like Blogger, to show off your work and provide an email address for customers - then he can conveniently link to that page.

Edited by brian0918

Very nice. :) I hope this indeed can help you along in your goal to becoming a painter. I'm curious, what kinds of materials do you use to color the shoes? I know it can't just be regular markers or they'd get messed up too easily in rain and/or when washed.

I use Acrylic markers and permanents too. I apply matte fixative as a finisher. I'm thinking of using matte clear to paint on my next batch for such cases as you mention with rain. I wear a pair for myself and I haven't had to worry about bleeding, but I don't jump in puddles when I wear them, so I carefully advise the consumer after they are out my hands I have no control of how they are treated. It's original and it's art.

Ha, nice, Dinosaur Comics! You should send that photo to Ryan North ([email protected]) - he might post it on his page and get you a lot of business. You should set up a webpage first though, even just on a blog site like Blogger, to show off your work and provide an email address for customers - then he can conveniently link to that page.

Thank you for the advise, I agree it would be the best I gave credit to the inventor, as my client of those shoes was interested in Dinosaur comics. I don't want to take full credit where there is credit due, so I will do that. I have a blog so I will post updates there. As for the website, I'm taking my precious time as I learn more about internet business.