Objectivism Online Forum

Should I major in philosophy in college?

Rate this topic

My goal in life is to be a judge. As I am preparing to apply for college, I am wondering what I should major in. From what I've read, most Judges have majored in either philosophy, political science, or history. I've been thinking that of these three, philosophy would be the best choice, as I would be able to learn about the philosophy of jurisprudence.

However, I grow more and more worried about what I hear of the bias of professors. I'm really starting to wonder if I would be better off majoring in History or Political Science instead.

So, any opinions? Would I learn anything I need to be a judge in any of these 3 choices? And which would be best to take?

My goal in life is to be a judge. As I am preparing to apply for college, I am wondering what I should major in. From what I've read, most Judges have majored in either philosophy, political science, or history. I've been thinking that of these three, philosophy would be the best choice, as I would be able to learn about the philosophy of jurisprudence.

However, I grow more and more worried about what I hear of the bias of professors. I'm really starting to wonder if I would be better off majoring in History or Political Science instead.

So, any opinions? Would I learn anything I need to be a judge in any of these 3 choices? And which would be best to take?

Bias is no biggie. There is bias in some philosophy classes, but there is still substance, and all good professors can move past their incorrect premises and just teach. The biggest problem I find is in classes on formal logic, where there are just conventions I don't agree with at all. Still, logic is key to the LSATs and no discipline emphasizes clear and logical thinking than philosophy. I've become more and more in love with the subject, even with professors I considered rather biased.

I plan on going to law school as well. Philosophy majors are some of the highest scorers.

On the downside, philosophy majors are generally looked down upon by some people. I say this not to say you should "worry about what others think", but to say that you may give a bad impression to an employer or other school down the road. However, I read last year this is becoming less of a problem and more people are becoming philosophy majors and those people are given the major a better reputation.

Also, I don't recommend having a goal so specific; so soon. Be open to possibilities, because college throws them at you just about every second.

Edited by Sabre

I'm not an expert. But from what I've heard from friends with law degrees (many), political science is a better undergrad than philosophy if you wish to go to law school.

I would also reiterate whatever previous reply it was that said not to limit yourself too much as you move into college. From my experience, the first 1-2 years of undergrad are a great opportunity to really explore what you enjoy or do not enjoy and adjust accordingly. (I would say the same for the first 1-3 years of experience in the working world.)

Have fun!

Poli-Sci is a good idea for background in actual law school classes, especially higher level courses of poli-sci, but the actual LSATs are more philosophy and logic-based. This is just what I'm taking from my advisor and friends I know who are lawyers or are in law school, so take it as you will. It certainly isn't a science.

Are you asking what (undergraduate) study is most relevant to the business of being a judge, or are you asking what would put you in the best position to be admitted to law school?

If anyone has suggested to you that professors of political science or history have no bias, you should stop listening to them.

Perhaps the first question that you should be concerned with is, what do you think that judges should do in their line of work? Do you know the answer now?

Are you asking what (undergraduate) study is most relevant to the business of being a judge, or are you asking what would put you in the best position to be admitted to law school?

If anyone has suggested to you that professors of political science or history have no bias, you should stop listening to them.

Perhaps the first question that you should be concerned with is, what do you think that judges should do in their line of work? Do you know the answer now?

I'm most interested in what is actually the most relevant to being a judge.

As for what judges should do in their line of work, I would say their job is to apply justice in any cases brought before them, no matter how insignificant. Is that what you were asking?

And also, are you saying that philosophy, history, and political science professors all have the same amount of bias?

As for what judges should do in their line of work, I would say their job is to apply justice in any cases brought before them, no matter how insignificant. Is that what you were asking?
Okay; another thing you could have said is that it is the judge's job to apply the law as it actually is. This is a significant division in jurisprudence, so I was wondering where you stood on this.
And also, are you saying that philosophy, history, and political science professors all have the same amount of bias?
No, some professors have a lot of obvious bias and some don't; but I don't think there is any difference as a function of their particular area given those three.

I would suggest philosophy first, as providing the intellectual tools most relevant to jurisprudence.