Objectivism Online Forum

(anti-)Human "Rights"

Rate this topic

There is a relatively new video my rights-ignorant friends have been passing around with glee in the name of "democracy" and "health care reform." As to my knowledge, this was created by some group promoting the United Nation's list of universal human rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot8YGiRtB7U

Obviously a Marxo-egalitarian venture. No mention of communism or the hundreds of millions of its victims. Comments?

I find the "right to democracy" item a little ironic.

Any sane person would read that the same way he would read, "right to anarchy" or "right to subservience" and be deeply appalled. If this movement gains any momentum whatsoever, I'm moving to outer space.

Uh, what movement? As if this hadn't been around for quite sometime?

It's obviously at least an attempt at a movement, as evidenced by the plea for action on behalf of "making the list of human rights into law", although I am admittedly unsure as to how long the "movement" has been around.

Of course, if you consider the commissioning of the League of Nations the beginning of the effort, then it is indeed quite a still-standing movement by this point. But it can be assumed that the sudden ressurection of these old ideas in the form of YouTube videos intended to persuade peoples' opinions on what human rights are is indeed a plausible threat as a new movement. Even the new movement may be stagnant by now, but as this was the very first I've heard of it, I assumed this was only the beginning.